Sign in with
Your question

Questions on budget gaming PC build

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2010 6:14:01 PM

Hey guys, I have been a read of TH for a long time and a forum reader as well, this is my first time posting as I need some advice regarding building a budget gaming PC. I have built PCs in the past, but it has been over 6 years...and I am not nearly as tech savvy as I used to be. I am looking to play SCII and some first person shooters as well as diablo 3 if it ever comes out. I did some research and came up with this build. I figure I could consult all you experts and hopefully get some feedback as to what you guys think of my build from a budget POV as well as a mid-gaming machine

SPECS:
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Model #:M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
$119.99 $119.99
newegg

AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
$88.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Add)
$59.99 $59.99

this is the base of my build so far, what do you guys think? i am planning on unlocking the 4th core (hopefully? hear some x3 740s have defective/inactive 4th cores?) and then overclocking a little bit, nothing too crazy though...

i cant decide between these fans:
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

both are 30 bucks...

aslo, when choosing a power supply...how many watts will I want with this rig?

and last but not least...
my old video card:
BFGTECH GEFORE 7800 GT Overclocked

this is what i am going to be using in the system for the time being until i can fork over at least 150+ for a vid card...

any and all help/feedback is much appreciated!!
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 6:25:43 PM

First off - welcome newcomer!

second - unlocking the 4th core disabled from factory defects will make your system unstable...so do a read up on that :) 

third -
Quote:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
all of us here advise the Hyper 212+ OC headroom is higher on the hyper and its easy to install.

can't move anwhere in respect to GPU's...$150...nehhhhhhhhh...keep $250 in your wallet when the time comes to get a card ;) 

nice selection but gimme a while to try and hook you up with something as your going for $300 as your budget :)  that too with only a CPU/mobo/RAM/CPU cooler to look forward too...that leaves me to ask, what about your case and PSU ?
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 5, 2010 6:31:50 PM

the CM 212+ is a great cooler and you can probably get it cheaper off amazon. a quality 500w-600w unit from seasonic, antec, corsair, enermax, silverstone will let you power any single GPU card out on the market.

currently the bets bang for you buck on newegg would be the seasonic 520w modular PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 6:32:35 PM

What is your total budget? The Phemon II x3 740 is a good little CPU. I would not expect it to unlock (even though you might get luck). It OC's very well.
December 5, 2010 6:43:48 PM

yea i have read about unlocking your 4th core and system instability, but minimal incremental ups in voltage in for the CPU should help this out?

my budget for cpu/motherboard/ram/psu/case would probably be like 400-450 or so. I like what the CPU can offer in terms of gaming CPU and i also have heard alot of good things about the mobo in regards to ease of overclocking, and I heard the ram is also nice from other various posts/reviews.

i dont know what kind of case i have in mind, i am going to goto a microcenter and check out cases/psus, i am also looking PSU/case combos on newegg.......i guess i have to go with at least a minimum 500+ watt PSU? i am planning on upgrading my video card later on and OCing, so I will have to take that into consideration when choosing a PSU.

my hard drive an old 40 gig 7200rpm and my other is 140gig 5400rpm

sounds like hyper 212 it is :) 

why would you next expect the core to unlock? excuse my nativity here but the mobo i have has the core unlocker switch, so i figure this ill help for ease of unlocking purposes? (sorry if that sound retarded lol :)  ). so far from what i have read it seems that most people have a 90% successful unlock rate?

what about cases? i was thinking about some cheap 50 dollar case from newegg?
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 6:48:11 PM

Quote:
why would you next expect the core to unlock?
the core was disabled from factory for a reason they're defective...you wouldn't have a road leagal nitrous dragster driving around. If you did, the police would've come and seized the engine off of it (as the engines are prone to blow up)=instability :p  and replace it with a hybrid prius's engine=stable. This way, the police know your still able to drive it(minus the Horsepower). Morality = you get your ride, they get their money.

Quote:
what about cases? i was thinking about some cheap 50 dollar case from newegg?

Cooler Master Elite black/red ATX case $40

The PSU suggested by ct1615 is really good + 1
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 5, 2010 6:54:52 PM

phoonbaba said:

why would you next expect the core to unlock? excuse my nativity here but the mobo i have has the core unlocker switch, so i figure this ill help for ease of unlocking purposes? (sorry if that sound retarded lol :)  ). so far from what i have read it seems that most people have a 90% successful unlock rate?

that's because more people brag about unlocking it then complain about not doing it. the fact is no one knows what the % is other then AMD. I've read plenty of people posting 90% and they are complete tools, you can research the forum and every other week we get the "I bought the AMD so&so to unlock and it does not unlock but i was told they all do"

if you are going to microcenter, they have a sale on antec cases and the corsair GS600 is on sale for a great price
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
December 7, 2010 2:00:33 PM

guys - could still use some feedback here on my build.

do you think I will have any trouble w/ unlocking/overclocking w the current mobo/ram selection I have chosen?

i would like to over clock 200-400 mhz and am going to by the hyper 212+ cooler.

i was thinking about a 500w PSU w/ a nice big case w/ 120mm fans for optimal cooling...
a few case/psu combos im looking @:

will 500W PSU be enough?

really need some feedback/opinions here as im looking to order these parts before xmas...thanks guys!
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 7, 2010 2:03:26 PM

phoonbaba said:

do you think I will have any trouble w/ unlocking/overclocking w the current mobo/ram selection I have chosen?

unlocking? we just stated its a crap shoot. OC is pretty easy and you can do it on most hardware including what you selected.
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2010 2:07:39 PM

Quote:
crap shoot

:lol: 
December 7, 2010 2:12:43 PM

alright - so i can count on not being able to unlock the 4th core? that istn a big deal since most games dont take advantage of the 4th core anways...
any advice on my case/psu combo?

is there anything i can do from a hardware stance that will increase my chances of unlocking my 4th core?
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2010 2:17:21 PM

we're saying to overclock not unlock
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 7, 2010 2:24:18 PM

phoonbaba said:
alright - so i can count on not being able to unlock the 4th core? that istn a big deal since most games dont take advantage of the 4th core anways...
any advice on my case/psu combo?

is there anything i can do from a hardware stance that will increase my chances of unlocking my 4th core?

get a quality PSU, the ones you selected are not good PSU.

PSU - this little unit peaks at 575w, the one you selected won't even give you 400w
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

case - get the one you think looks better

as long as your mobo supports ACC, that's all you need to try to unlock a core.
December 7, 2010 2:47:24 PM

those three PSUs i linked from newegg are 500Ws. i dont follow when you say "wont even give you 400w" - when it states they are 500w PSUs? are they just cheap POS PSUs and will not produce or what?

thanks for the advice also for my MOBO, it has these features:

TURBO UNLOCKER
As the next evolution of an exclusive ASUS performance boost feature, the Turbo Unlocker can automatically and dynamically adjusts each core frequency to speed up performance based on actual system load, simply through one click in the TurboV EVO interface..
CORE UNLOCKER
Asus Core Unlocker activates AMD CPU's latent cores with just a simple switch so you can enjoy a performance boost without performing complicated BIOS changes.

a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 7, 2010 3:35:17 PM

phoonbaba said:
those three PSUs i linked from newegg are 500Ws. i dont follow when you say "wont even give you 400w" - when it states they are 500w PSUs? are they just cheap POS PSUs and will not produce or what?

for PSU wattage, there is no independent testing so you can literally take a 300w PSU, stick a 600w sticker on it and sell it as such.

this article may help you
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-...

!