Sign in with
Your question
Solved

i5 w/ 6gb DDR3 1333mhz or i7 w/ 4gb DDR3 1066mhz?

Last response: in Memory
August 2, 2011 5:01:48 PM

Which is better? I'm having trouble finding any info in DDR3 in the Sticky FAQ thread. --probably needs to be updated.

I'm thinking of purchasing a set up, but I can't decide on which because the memory differs and I was wondering which is the better memory set up.

Is an i5 (2nd gen processor) with 6gb DDR3 1333mHz better or an i7 92nd gen) with 4gb DDR3 1066mhz?

Thanks!
August 2, 2011 5:05:20 PM

I would say neither. If you are building your own computer, go with an i5-2500k, its great for the price, and go with some g.skill pi 4gb-6gb @ 1600 Mhz, because it has very low cas latency (6)
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:07:20 PM

Ah these were actually found in two laptops that I was deciding between for everyday use. I know they're not the most ideal set up, but my budget is a concern and I need something quick.

Really I'm not sure if it's better to have the i7 with ram with lower latency or the i5 with more ram and higher latency..
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2011 5:42:35 PM

I say go with the i7 because you can actually upgrade ram in laptops, and you will actually notice a difference between the i5 and i7, but not so much between the ram.
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:43:58 PM

Okay cool thanks for the reply!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 2, 2011 5:46:09 PM

First, there's a 'Laptops & Notebooks' section so most folks are going to rightfully assume you are looking at Desktop CPU/RAM.

In a Notebook 9.9/10 you have a very limited BIOS so you're stuck to the CPU/BIOS defaults. In most cases even the Core i3 is plenty, and unless you're looking at the Core i7-2630QM or higher the differences are minimal between most Core i5 or Core i7 Mobile Sandy Bridge CPUs.

'Better' otherwise get really murky.

Q - What kind of Applications are you needing to run on your Notebook?
Q - What EXACT Core i7 and Core i5 CPUs?
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:49:55 PM

The question wasn't "Is the i5/i7 in a laptop good?" It's which one. And between the two, the i7 is faster, and then he can upgrade the ram if its really a problema, which it shouldnt be.
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:57:05 PM

jaquith said:
First, there's a 'Laptops & Notebooks' section so most folks are going to rightfully assume you are looking at Desktop CPU/RAM.

In a Notebook 9.9/10 you have a very limited BIOS so you're stuck to the CPU/BIOS defaults. In most cases even the Core i3 is plenty, and unless you're looking at the Core i7-2630QM or higher the differences are minimal between most Core i5 or Core i7 Mobile Sandy Bridge CPUs.

'Better' otherwise get really murky.

Q - What kind of Applications are you needing to run on your Notebook?
Q - What EXACT Core i7 and Core i5 CPUs?

1. Mostly regular word processing apps, HD video watching, and normal everyday use, most extreme program may be photoshop or illustrator. (Where I thought hyperthreading would be most valuable.)

2. These are the two specific builds:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0G
Screen
15.6" - 1366 x 768 - LED backlight & Acer CineCrystal Technology
Memory Size
4GB DDR3 1066 mhz
Hard Disk
640GB - 5400rpm
Graphics Card
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor With Turbo Boost 2.0
Screen
15.6" - 1366 x 768 - HD TruBrite® LED Backlit display with Intel® Wireless Display Technology
Memory Size
6GB DDR3 1333MHz (though this one on Office Depot says PC3-10600?)
Hard Disk
640GB - 5400rpm
Graphics Card
Mobile Intel® HD Graphics - 64MB-1696MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

They're essentially the same and I thought it boiled down to the RAM and wanted to make sure if the Ram was more important or the processor. I didn't mean to post in the wrong forum. I appreciate all the help though!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 2, 2011 5:59:10 PM

Nope, I would prefer an i5 2540M 2.6GHz over and i7 2617M 1.5GHz all day; both a 2 core. Whereas the Core i7-2630QM or higher are 4 core + 4 HT, so it really depends on what CPU the OP is looking at -- the reasons I asked.
m
l

Best solution

August 2, 2011 6:01:38 PM

My sister is getting almost the exact same laptop as the second one, and it is a great choice, but if you have the extra cash, and are worried about the ram with the one that has the i7, get that one. And then if you are unhappy with it simply because of the ram, you can upgrade it. However, if you get the one with the i5, and are unhappy with it because of the processor, you can not upgrade that.
August 2, 2011 6:06:19 PM

jrwizbang said:
My sister is getting almost the exact same laptop as the second one, and it is a great choice, but if you have the extra cash, and are worried about the ram with the one that has the i7, get that one. And then if you are unhappy with it simply because of the ram, you can upgrade it. However, if you get the one with the i5, and are unhappy with it because of the processor, you can not upgrade that.

That's a very good point, and I'm in the same boat, i just want something that will hold me over, for the next couple of years w/o breaking the bank, but I know the i7 can potentially last longer and do more than the i5 and if the memory is sluggish I can upgrade. I rather have that option than not feel like my processor is under performing.

Thanks!
m
l
August 2, 2011 6:08:05 PM

Best answer selected by Workodactyl.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 2, 2011 6:11:08 PM

The i7 2630QM is a 4 core + 4 HT, and the only Apps like Adobe do benefit from HT. Otherwise, if you also have a Desktop then IMO get the cheapest or the one that's best in your price range.

I made the mistake of purchasing a $3500 HP Mobile Workstation - I love the GPU and resolution, but otherwise it sucks power and my daughter's $700 Notebook runs in most situations similarly and with a better battery life.

You need to factor everything into account.

The i5-2410M will run longer between charges and is plenty fast, but again your $. IF you want to toss money then get a Notebook with an SSD you'll be twice as happy. My next Notebook has to have 6-8+ hours, SSD, and at least a 15" screen and a few 'business' compliments.
m
l
August 2, 2011 6:31:20 PM

Cool thanks for the info, the i7 was actually cheaper by $50, so it made even more sense. hope it's not too bogged down. the desktop imploded and really I'm on the move a lot so this seems much more appropriate. I don't think I'll be away from a power source for a good bit of time while on the go so hopefully this works out.

a SSD drive would be awesome, had that on my netbook and it makes that piece so quick, but it's lacking a lot of everyday essentials to be my daily.

I appreciate all the help.
m
l
!