AM3 Core Unlocking Help?

Aetherys

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hey, folks. Hope everyone's doing well. Just wanted to see if anyone could offer any insight on which die I'm dealing with here. I've done a little reading, but I've seen websites with quite a few errors in their tables and I'm guessing there are some people here who will know what they're looking at right away.

I started with an Athlon II X3 445 @ 3.1GHz and here's what CPU-Z is showing after unlocking:

cpu-z_screenie.jpg

Is CPU-Z reading it wrong and it's really a Propus die? If not, should it have L3 cache that I need to unlock? If so, how can I do that?

This chip resides in an economy HTPC so the L3 cache isn't really necessary, nor is the 4th core for that matter, but if I can get a $200 chip out of something I paid sixty bucks for, I'll find a use for it and buy another Rana on sale to drop in the glorified Blu-Ray player. :p

The cores will change after unlocking, my Phenom II 555 went to a B55 x 4 and the core name also changed from Callisto to Denab.

Download and install Coretemp and Prime95 and run P95 with Coretemp open, this will show you that all 4 cores are being utilized.

Also check for stability with a 1hr OCCT run idealy P95 for 8hrs, unlocked cpu's often need more voltage for stability.

Hope this helps.

Aetherys

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

Ok, so can you answer my question? What you said would suggest that CPU-Z is wrong and it is a Propus, not a Deneb. If that's the case, fine. If, on the other hand, CPU-Z is NOT incorrect, it is a Deneb and there should be 6 megs of L3 unless it was faulty to start with and that's the reason a core was locked and it was sold as a Rana. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've read so much conflicting information but after trying to apply a bullshit filter and compare "corrected" lists and posts, that's what I understood to be the situation in regard to which die becomes which processor.