Sign in with
Your question

AM3 Core Unlocking Help?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2010 6:59:57 PM

Hey, folks. Hope everyone's doing well. Just wanted to see if anyone could offer any insight on which die I'm dealing with here. I've done a little reading, but I've seen websites with quite a few errors in their tables and I'm guessing there are some people here who will know what they're looking at right away.

I started with an Athlon II X3 445 @ 3.1GHz and here's what CPU-Z is showing after unlocking:

Is CPU-Z reading it wrong and it's really a Propus die? If not, should it have L3 cache that I need to unlock? If so, how can I do that?

This chip resides in an economy HTPC so the L3 cache isn't really necessary, nor is the 4th core for that matter, but if I can get a $200 chip out of something I paid sixty bucks for, I'll find a use for it and buy another Rana on sale to drop in the glorified Blu-Ray player. :p 

More about : am3 core unlocking

a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 8:33:44 PM

The cores will change after unlocking, my Phenom II 555 went to a B55 x 4 and the core name also changed from Callisto to Denab.

Download and install Coretemp and Prime95 and run P95 with Coretemp open, this will show you that all 4 cores are being utilized.

Also check for stability with a 1hr OCCT run idealy P95 for 8hrs, unlocked cpu's often need more voltage for stability.

Hope this helps.
a c 100 à CPUs
December 5, 2010 8:48:02 PM

my brother unlocked an athlon 440 and also got the L3 cache, if its there it unlocks with the core so if its not there there isn't anything else to try.
Related resources
December 13, 2010 7:42:26 PM

simon12 said:
my brother unlocked an athlon 440 and also got the L3 cache, if its there it unlocks with the core so if its not there there isn't anything else to try.

Ok, so can you answer my question? What you said would suggest that CPU-Z is wrong and it is a Propus, not a Deneb. If that's the case, fine. If, on the other hand, CPU-Z is NOT incorrect, it is a Deneb and there should be 6 megs of L3 unless it was faulty to start with and that's the reason a core was locked and it was sold as a Rana. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've read so much conflicting information but after trying to apply a bullshit filter and compare "corrected" lists and posts, that's what I understood to be the situation in regard to which die becomes which processor.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 8:09:02 PM

Like you say different results on different boards, some unlock some don't, some with cache etc etc.

Mine is now a B55 Denab with the 6 Mb cache displayed in cpu-z, sounds like yours is a Denab with the L3 cache shut off.
!