Sketchbook Pro and Windows 8

tinkyxiii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
So I bit the proverbial bullet and installed Windows 8 CP. So far I'm loving it, with the exception of getting Sketchbook Pro 2011 to work. Every time I try to open it, it slowly opens from the bottom of the screen for six to ten seconds before it completely crashes and I have to close it via Task Manager. I honestly can't find any mention of this happening to any other user, and I'm stumped as to what's causing this. Both Photoshop CS5 and Artrage Studio Pro open faster than they did in Win7 and give me no trouble.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Google search didnt help.
But it did turn up a report of the same problem:
http://tehparadox.com/forum/f85/sketchbook-pro-windows-8-a-3941689/

What you can try is find the Sketchbook Pro application program (usually a .exe file) and located in the Program Files folder.
Right mouse click and choose Properties, and use the Compatibility Tab.
Try using Comparability Mode options for Win7 and maybe Vista or WinXP.
Also choose Run this program as Administrator option.

tinkyxiii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I tried all of the compatibility settings and none change behavior. Is there a chance the graphics drivers are at fault here? Perhaps the program just can't see my card and is trying to render via CPU only?

tinkyxiii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I see what you're saying. This is really stumping me mainly because PhotoShop runs so well and other people have Sketchbook Pro running on Windows 8 from what I can find on the program's forums.

tinkyxiii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I've figured out what the problem is: There is currently no OpenGL support for the Radeon 4890 cards. I've read some people getting it to work, but I'm stumped as to how to achieve that at the moment.

tinkyxiii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Sadly that's not in the cards at the moment. Hopefully later this year. XD

Now that I know that it's apparently fixable, I just have to research how to do it for my machine. And if I can't get it to work, I can live without it for now. Very few programs I have use OpenGL, so it's not a catastrophic loss.