My Samsung 191T looks like it has worse response t

Erricane

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
I just ordered and recieved a Samsung 191T LCD monitor after researching LCDs for a long time, and I must say that I am disappointed with its response time. I was hesitant to get an LCD monitor but after using my friend's Sony and my uncle's various no name LCDs, I decided one wouldn't be that bad, especially if I got something like the 191T, which I was sure would kick the crap out of all the ones I used before. Well, now that I have it, the response time seems worse than any of the other LCDs I used. I've used the 191T on my computer and on the DVI off my brothers GeForce 4 Ti, and the response looks equally bad on either. When I tried Quake 3, everything on the screen left long, distracting trails. Playing Quake 3 on my friends Sony SDM-S71, I could not detect any trails unless I looked for them. Anyway, when the monitor arrived, the box looked pretty banged up and there was a small hole on one of the edges, so could something be wrong with the 191T that I got? Should I return it for a new one?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
That monitor uses PVA technology- yes it has fast 25ms response time for black to white, but when you get into greys, response time is higher- MVA and PVA are the worst in terms of grey response time......

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

Erricane

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
I was going to mention that black on white is actually really good. I had read somewhere that the 191T had trouble with greys, but the smearing with all colors is just as horrendous. It's basically just black and white that is fine.

kogo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
I've seen this thing too, and for samsung to call it 25ms, it makes me question the validity of the response time measurement. It had the worst ghosting properties I had ever seen on an LCD, and it frightens me that other "25ms" panels would exhibit the same qualities.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Perhaps <A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=15016,00.asp" target="_new">this article</A> will explain the ghosting a little better.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti