Problem with winME

G

Hi all,
Me again (excuse the pun), have this problem of using "add new hardware" feature in winME.
Sometimes it is ok, I suppose it depends on what it is I'm trying to install but I can get as far as identifying the hardware but then it asks for "Copy files from". All it does no matter what file I select is to go back to the first highlighted file> "C:\Downloads\Other setups\w9x1290"(AGP driver) everytime. This has been a problem for a while and has become annoying to say the least, I dont like the idea of the standard answer I get to just re-install, can anyone help please?

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Very often I think software or hardware work the way I think, but somebody more experienced always proves they don’t.
When I say, “I don’t like the standard way or idea…”, it doesn’t mean that a miracle will do the thing and my computer will work the way I want.
Even more, Windows and other Microsoft’s products sometimes don’t work the way Microsoft wants. And people around the world begin to point on that, and later Microsoft has to post an article with a line “Microsoft confirms that there is a problem with Microsoft product…”

It is interesting for me trying to find the source of some software problem. But somebody always points: “Look, Microsoft has hundreds (even more?) unsolved bugs in Windows and got rid of the idea to fix them, they (Microsoft and other software manufacturers) don’t bother themselves with spending time and money on updating their old software, they work on something new instead. For the time you going to spend on fixing your (or their?) problem you probably could earn enough money for buying a new good working powerful multi-processor workstation with the newest OS and all advanced software preinstalled.”
I was taught: "Use standard ways of fixing problem, uninstall-reinstall, or format and reinstall, don’t waste your time.” Non-standard time-consuming ways are prohibited when working on customer’s system and it's OK.
But I still waste my time by doing this kind of investigation with my home computers, and nothing is able to change my nature.

OK, we are free to leave all the traces of previous drivers intact (we can see them from Safe Mode) in our systems and can try to install something additional on top of that and see how it works, somebody probably will guide us in non-standard ways of troubleshooting and fixing problems with drivers. And it is still interesting for me and would be good for me also to know those non-standard ways if there are some.