Sign in with
Your question

PSU Voltages too high?

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2010 7:06:58 PM

I have been having problems with my GeForce GTX 280 vid card for a good 2 months now. I am now on my third RMA'ed card. All cards have been failing after short periods of time.

Now I just got around to checking my PSU voltages and this is what I have found:
Corsair TX750W:
12 volt rail: 12.89V to 13.10v
5 volt rail: 5.84v to 6.01v
3.3 volt rail: 4.18v to 4.30v

Are these Voltages too high? Is it possible the PSU is damaging the vid cards over time? Could these voltages possibly be harming or did harm the mother board?

I am getting crashes with this weird pattern all over the screen. I have yet another RMA'ed card on the way and dont want to use it till I find out what my problem is.

Thank you for any help!!

More about : psu voltages high

a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 7:34:58 PM

Those are high, how did you check ?
m
l
December 5, 2010 7:43:15 PM

I used a digital volt meter.
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 7:44:35 PM

Was there a load on the psu ?
m
l
December 5, 2010 7:48:53 PM

The low end voltages were at idle. The high end voltages were with Fallout New Vegas running.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 7:53:43 PM

that is a big issue. get a new psu
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 7:53:57 PM

I'd be looking to RMA it.
m
l
December 5, 2010 8:12:42 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!!!!

I just hope there is nothing wrong with other components in my rig. Like I said, I have a new vid card on the way because the last one lasted about 3 weeks before crashing with the same weird screen. Right now, the crash is happening every so often like the last card did. But over time, the last card eventually would not even bring up the desktop. After POST, right when the desktop would appear, the crash would happen.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 9:19:08 PM

its probably crashing due to your PSU not the video card. Get a new PSU before you blow up your computer.
m
l
December 6, 2010 3:41:58 AM

Wow!! Just doing some last minute voltage readings so I can give the info to Corsair to get this thing RMA'ed and it's all over the place. Just surfing the web and the 12 volt rail is going up and down between 12.4 volts and 13.1 volts with a few spikes in the 13.6 to 13.9 volts range. Shutting down till I get PSU replaced.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 3:55:20 AM

3.3V rail is way out of spec. So high I'd almost think you measuring the 5V standby rail instead. The 5V is also out of spec, and the 12V is nearly so. And thats a Corsair unit?
m
l
December 6, 2010 7:48:48 AM

Yes it is a Corsair TX750W PSU. I'm measuring the voltages off of a molex and sata connecter. 12 volt from the yellow and black wires (Molex), 5 volts from the red and black wires (Molex), and 3.3 volt from the orange and black wires (sata). After I checked the volts at idle, I tried to check them under load. I started up Fallout New Vegas and as in the past, the game starts to play and in about 10 seconds, crash. I guess this video card is toast now too.

I have another card RMA'ed and on the way. If after I get this new vid card and new PSU, and the problem still persists, I guess the mobo will be next. I hope the new PSU is the answer because I am so stumped.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 11:16:41 AM

If the PSU is outputting that kind of voltage then I would put the blame on it. Honestly, every rail or nearly every rail is out of spec.

m
l
December 7, 2010 2:13:59 AM

Well, I just got a new Corsair TX750W PSU and I am getting the same voltage readings on all the rails. I am getting the same weird screen when the computer crashes just like before. Only thing I haven't tried yet are swapping out mobo and CPU. I am so stumped it hurts. lol. Thx for all the help everyone. It's really killing me that I cant figure this out.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 2:44:00 AM

What do software tools say the voltages are? perhaps the volt meter your using is bad? Try a different one?
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:45:18 AM

Here are the BIOS readings:
3.3 V: 3.280 Volts
5 V: 5.118 Volts
12 V: 12.025 Volts

Any software tools you can suggest?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 4:00:39 AM

The bios readings are right then. I guess your voltmeter is shot.

Sometimes certain psus just dont work with a certain config, not becuase of bad quality or defectiveness, but simply they just dont like each other :) 

So right now both the gpu and psu have been replaced?
m
l
December 7, 2010 4:20:15 AM

Yes, just replaced the PSU with a new one with the same results. This is the third video card. EVGA is trying to upgrade me to another video card to get away from the GTX 280. At the moment, I don't really know what they are going to send me. They have been more than cooperative.

Thing is, with the volt meter, just checked a new 1.5v AA battery and got a reading of 1.63 Volts. I really dont know where to turn to next.

As of right now, I can boot to the desktop, navigate through windows, go online and surf the web, but as soon as I load up a game (Im playing Fallout new vegas at the moment), I crash to that weird screen and have to reboot. In the past, it didn't matter what game I loaded up, same result.

I'm hoping the GTX 280 just doesn't like my system. Don't know why. I just hope that is the case.

I guess I'll find out if they send me a different card.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 4:27:54 AM

People talk about using a voltmeter because its the best way to check, but they can go bad. (digital? Have you tried replacing the batteries?)

Quote:
As of right now, I can boot to the desktop, navigate through windows, go online and surf the web, but as soon as I load up a game (Im playing Fallout new vegas at the moment), I crash to that weird screen and have to reboot. In the past, it didn't matter what game I loaded up, same result.

Sure sounds like a bad GPU to me.
m
l
December 7, 2010 5:49:03 AM

I just found a site (www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=207952&mpage=1) and it seems that I am not the only one with this issue and the GTX 280. As a matter of fact, the first post on that site has a pic of what my screen looks like when I crash. They are calling it the PSOD (pink screen of death), although sometimes, mine is green.

Maybe the GTX 280 from EVGA is just a bad card. Like I posted earlier, hopefully they send a different card and all these troubles go away. I mean, if they send another GTX 280, it will be my 4th in less than a year. They have to be getting sick of sending these things to me. EVGA has been paying for all shipping since the 2nd card.

I'm pretty sure that if I get another GTX 280, it will die too. Only time will tell.
m
l
December 7, 2010 7:21:15 PM

cryptler said:
I just found a site (www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=207952&mpage=1) and it seems that I am not the only one with this issue and the GTX 280. As a matter of fact, the first post on that site has a pic of what my screen looks like when I crash. They are calling it the PSOD (pink screen of death), although sometimes, mine is green.

Maybe the GTX 280 from EVGA is just a bad card. Like I posted earlier, hopefully they send a different card and all these troubles go away. I mean, if they send another GTX 280, it will be my 4th in less than a year. They have to be getting sick of sending these things to me. EVGA has been paying for all shipping since the 2nd card.

I'm pretty sure that if I get another GTX 280, it will die too. Only time will tell.

dang that sucks, im sure by now are you out of the refund time limit but i would ask if you could change over to a different card or maybe an amd equivalent; if what you say about the GTX 280 line being bad is true.
m
l
December 8, 2010 8:07:40 PM

EVGA is sending me a GTX 470 for my replacement card. Hopefully all goes well with this card. Card will be here Monday, and again, EVGA is paying for all shipping costs.

I'm not too happy about all of the down time I had but at least EVGA is trying to resolve the problem. Just wish they would have given me the upgrade sooner.

Again, thanks to everyone for all your help. Much appreciated!!
m
l
!