Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering in PC games!! (Sound related)

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2010 7:10:04 PM

I'm having this problem with my PC and Gaming!! All games i play (latest games) have a stutter or lag sometimes both every little while!! i tried all types of setting even bringing down my graphics and it still stuttered!! I found out that if i disable the sound devices and then play the games everything runs smooth and no problems!!! then wen i turned it back at a lower audio hertz the problem came back!! Also about a year ago my pc had a lag with the sounds everything froze even when not playing games, what i did to fix that was to format it and got a new harddrive! (i dont know if i had messed up my onboard sounds!). is there any ideas how i can fix this without having to buy a sound card?
December 5, 2010 7:12:16 PM

My specs:
MotherBoard = Gigabyte Ga-945Pl-S3
Processor = Intel Core 2 duo E4500 2.20GHz
memory = 2GB
os = Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Video card = Geforce 9800 gt
Sound card = none
m
l
December 6, 2010 1:19:59 AM

Normally, onboard sound will gives you less problem than a dedicated sound card.
Are you sure all drivers are properly installed?
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2010 1:48:02 AM

yea all drivers are installed properly!! if i can recall wen u install drivers it has to be a particular order. rite? chipset, video, sounds, lan, usb!! thats the order i follow !
m
l
December 6, 2010 1:51:38 AM

Yes, you are right.
Hmm, the worst scenario is your onboard sound is defective. Set everything related to audio to default (Hertz or something like that), choose the wrong setting could gives you problem in games...
That's happened to me when I want to play AvP.
m
l
December 6, 2010 2:02:00 AM

i've already tried default! same results!! Could it be my ram?? 2x 1gb @555hz i'm running dual channel!!
m
l
December 6, 2010 2:15:03 AM

would a sound card be any better?? i have this fear of buying one and it does the same as the onboard!!
m
l
December 6, 2010 3:43:24 AM

You can try using only 1 stick of RAM and see the result.
The last thing you want to try is re-install (clean) windows and all drivers.
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:34:47 AM

wa1 said:
You can try using only 1 stick of RAM and see the result.
The last thing you want to try is re-install (clean) windows and all drivers.

I tried it and the stuttering was worse! dual channel seems to be the best choice!! less stuttering.
m
l
December 7, 2010 5:17:18 AM

Have any friends with spare RAM?
You can try borrow and use it on your system, if the problem is gone then you have a bad RAM...
m
l
December 7, 2010 9:59:04 PM

wa1 said:
You can try borrow and use it on your system, if the problem is gone then you have a bad RAM...

i borrowed a ram which was 675MHz same ddr2 1 gb but only one i cud have borrowed ! it was lil faster than my 1 gb that i tried but still saw some stuttering!!!
m
l
December 7, 2010 11:00:36 PM

What games? IF you are playing CoD: BO then the lags/stuttering are absolutely normal, that's the game's bug...
DOes this lags happened every time or just for short period?
This is not solved your problem, just like you said before, you can play without problem if you disabled the onboard sound...
m
l
December 7, 2010 11:29:19 PM

i kno black ops have bugs so i dont use tha for testing , games like front line mission evolved, need for speed pro street, and simulator games!! the stutterin happens for short periods its very noticable!!!
m
l
December 8, 2010 3:24:40 AM

Does one of your friends have an old sound card maybe a spare that you could borrow? If so, the way to determine would be to disable the onboard sound, try a dedicated card, if it works, then you know to go and just buy a dedicated card.
m
l
December 8, 2010 9:58:46 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Does one of your friends have an old sound card maybe a spare that you could borrow? If so, the way to determine would be to disable the onboard sound, try a dedicated card, if it works, then you know to go and just buy a dedicated card.

Sadly none of my friends i kno have a sound card they barley have a fast enough computer to play guitar hero 3!! but i 'll chek on that ! look like i'm gonna have to buy a sound card and see the results!!! :(  low on cash!
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:27:04 AM

Yea so i havnt gotten around to a new sound card but a question popped up in my head! do u think that my os might be the prob u kno being a 64 bt? i read some stuff about how the 64 bt is faster but not a lot of programs and games are designed for 64bt !! i feel like changing to 32bt not sure though i dont wnt to go through all that formatting and installing programs again and still have the problem!
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:07:55 AM

Possible, but I would not go 32 bit now. I believe MS has even said that 7 will be the last OS with an option for 32 bit.
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:18:10 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Possible, but I would not go 32 bit now. I believe MS has even said that 7 will be the last OS with an option for 32 bit.

I have windows 7 ultimate 64bt installed, :wahoo: 
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:22:43 AM

wa1 said:

I gotten a chance to borrow 2 1gb stick of ram and was 675mhz 1.9vlts my ones are 800mhz 19vlts and i stuttered more wit the onesi borrowed. i guess my rams are still good? maybe its my ram slots?
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:23:52 AM

Exactly, you said you were tempted go 32 bit.
m
l
September 8, 2011 8:10:51 PM

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Realtek_Aud...

try out this...download the file,
[1] then go to my computer>properties>device manager.
[2] then right click your present audio driver and select 'update driver software'
[3] select browse my computer fo driver software
[4] then choose 'Realtek_Audio_V6015473_vista\Audio\driver\Vista'. Vista64 for 64-bit

system should install these drivers. If it does u should have no more problems.

NOTE: this is for windows 7, don't knw if wll work on Vista
m
l
September 8, 2011 8:58:09 PM

I'm wondering if this is an issue of old, full (ie: slow) hard drive or perhaps a system conflict.

What harddrive do you have and how full is it?

In the mean time, go into your bios and disable peripherals you dont use or dont need while testing. Turn off the parallel port, the comm port, disable usb, usb2 if you are using a ps/2 mouse and keyboard, disable PATA/IDE if your harddrive is Sata.

I didn't see an option to reset configuration data in your bios but looks around for one and if you find it go ahead and reset. This resets the setting stored by the bios for your peripherals and cards and makes the bios redetect and reassign resources for them.

Let us know how it goes.
m
l
September 9, 2011 2:02:48 AM

popatim said:
I'm wondering if this is an issue of old, full (ie: slow) hard drive or perhaps a system conflict.

What harddrive do you have and how full is it?.......

Let us know how it goes.

I'm glad to see people trying to help with this problem.
my hardrive is not full i have a over 1/2 a terrabyte free and i keep it above 50gb if its low on space
i've disable the peripherals like u said i see a lil improvement! (yay!)
but i've been riding this problem for way too long maybe its just bad combinations of hardware or maybe it really and truly is insufficient RAM or maybe my mother board and cpu is just ....... yeah u know!

i've decided to uprgade! by the end of this month i shud have a new motherboard? (i7 compatable) , new ram? (6gb....for now) and cpu? (well the motherboard says it all) its gonna hurt my wallet but hey stutter free right? ( i hope)

wen i get my computer running i'll run side by side test and diagnostics and let u guys kno wat the real prob was! XD
m
l
!