Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU strong enough?

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2010 8:27:47 PM

Hey there, I very recently upgraded my PC, but ever since I upgraded from my Pentium 4 to my i5 frame rates in games have dropped? I kept the same PSU, GFX Card and Disk burner but i just wondered if the there was enough power flowing in my system:

Old system:
P4 3.4ghz Prescott H/T
MS 7046
2GB DDR RAM
HD4650 1GB XFX
DVD Burner
140GB HDD

New System:
i5 760, 2.8Ghz, Stock Cooling
Asrock H55M/USB3
HD4650 XFX 1GB
4GB DDR3 RAM
1TB HDD
DVD Burner (W/ individually powered IDE>Sata Adaptor)

The systems are powered with a 400W PSU, I see vast improvements in general speedm just in games and 3D applications i see a drop.

Please help! Sam.

More about : psu strong

a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 8:46:05 PM

Should be enough power, what PSU are you using?

Have you got the latest drivers installed?
December 5, 2010 8:48:28 PM

All I know is that its an EZCool, and thats it pretty old... Could it be the GFX Card broken?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 8:50:04 PM

Whats the model number on the psu and have you got the latest graphics card drivers installed.
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 8:59:55 PM

Honestly I wouldn't turn it on again until you get a new psu.

I have read reports of this psu exploding.

December 5, 2010 9:04:37 PM

i had it in the old system for years, i just need to find out if its the psu or gfx card.
a c 165 ) Power supply
December 5, 2010 9:09:29 PM

sammhill said:
i had it in the old system for years, i just need to find out if its the psu or gfx card.

its not the video card. you new PC has higher power demands and your PSU was just holding on with your old PC. invest in a quality 400w+ PSU from corsair, antec, enermax, silverstone or seasonic.

ocz and xigmatek offer budget options but the one you have now is best served as a paper weight or roman candle
December 5, 2010 9:15:57 PM

Ok, guess ill be getting a new psu, thanks guys
December 5, 2010 9:24:11 PM

Ok I had this model before and it worked flawlessly for a couple of years under extreme conditions (current instability, very hot weather 38c, humidity 90%) on a "single core system" then it exploded due to a faulty UPS, but luckily nothing else was damaged!
and bty it doesn't provide a real 400w output.
a c 1193 ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 2:54:40 AM

I haven't seen anyone ask these questions, but here goes:

Are you running the same Operating System on the new system as you were on the old system?

Did you change from a lower resolution display/monitor on the old system to a higher resolution display/monitor on the new system?

Did you change from DX9 on the old system to DX11 on the new system?

I highly doubt that the new system is consuming more power. Just compare the power consumption of the old CPU (115 Watts TDP) to the new CPU (95 Watts TDP).
December 6, 2010 5:39:34 AM

ko888 said:
I haven't seen anyone ask these questions, but here goes:

Are you running the same Operating System on the new system as you were on the old system?

Did you change from a lower resolution display/monitor on the old system to a higher resolution display/monitor on the new system?

Did you change from DX9 on the old system to DX11 on the new system?

I highly doubt that the new system is consuming more power. Just compare the power consumption of the old CPU (115 Watts TDP) to the new CPU (95 Watts TDP).

I've tried winxp 32bit and win7 64bit, same results.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 2:40:39 PM

I concur, You need a new PSU
Is it the PSU ??
(1) Your system is less than 300 Watts (w/max load on gpu) so a good 400 Watt is fine, 450 better. Note this would even support a upgrad GPU say to a 5770

(2) Have you monitored the voltage levels. ie download and install CPUID HWMonitor.
Note the voltages at idle and at max load. The +5 should Not drop below 4.75V. and the +12V should not drop below 11.4 (I prefer a low limit of 11.6V). Basically if Voltages are good, it is not your PSU - Stll recommend a New PSU.

For max load run Furmark in a window
Both furmark and HWMonitor are free down loads
http://www.cpuid.com/
http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-v1.6.5-download-196...

My recomendation for PSU @$40 (Corsair 430)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 6, 2010 2:53:42 PM

RetiredChief said:
I concur, You need a new PSU
Is it the PSU ??
(1) Your system is less than 300 Watts (w/max load on gpu) so a good 400 Watt is fine, 450 better. Note this would even support a upgrad GPU say to a 5770

(2) Have you monitored the voltage levels. ie download and install CPUID HWMonitor.
Note the voltages at idle and at max load. The +5 should Not drop below 4.75V. and the +12V should not drop below 11.4 (I prefer a low limit of 11.6V). Basically if Voltages are good, it is not your PSU - Stll recommend a New PSU.

For max load run Furmark in a window
Both furmark and HWMonitor are free down loads
http://www.cpuid.com/
http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-v1.6.5-download-196...

My recomendation for PSU @$40 (Corsair 430)

This is what I got, not quite sure what to look for but i noticed the CPU load wasn't going 100%... but hey I'm a beginner ^.^

Idle

Max?

a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 3:04:39 PM

+12 V is not being reported correctly so +12V is unknown
So did your MB come with a utility for looking at temps/voltage (I have gigabyte and it uses Easytune 6) if so try that to look at voltages. Other voltages look OK (I'm running my I5-750 w/vcore of 1.1 V, but I've OCed to 3.2 GHz)

However, Looking at temps, your Max is @72C - HIGH. Intel's stock HSF is at the BOTTOM of the list in performance, Recommend a after market cooler such as the Hyper 212, cheap but BETTER than Stock

On GPU load, Furmark's load is OK, normally higher than what a game would push it to.

Added, If you can not find a program to display the +12 V correctly then You would need to measure it with a DVM. Simple to do and a cheap Meter can be found.
To measure, you would simply put the Meter to Measure DCV, insert the Black lead into a molex (HDD 4 pin power connector) center pin (With Black Wire) and the Red Meter lead into the ORANGE wire pin (one end pin) - The pin with the RED wire is your +5 V
December 6, 2010 3:09:34 PM

I think this shows it a bit better:
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 3:15:39 PM

YEP, +5 and +12 V look good, is that with furmark running?
December 6, 2010 3:19:07 PM

No, it isn't, do you want me to post a picture with it running?
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 3:25:43 PM

Just tell me what the +5 and the +12 V goes to. Don't leave it running to long as you have a problem with your temps (CPU), might also want to monitor your GPU temp.
December 6, 2010 3:30:43 PM

+5V = 5.2
+12V = 11.6
GPU Temp = ~55C
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 3:39:05 PM

CPU temps are high, try re doing the thermal paste with this guide - http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

It will probably help but I would always advise aftermarket cooling anyway.

GPU temp looks ok.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 4:19:05 PM

OK - Your 12 Volt is hitting my low limit (Spec is 11.4 V). Also the drop of 0.4 V idle-> full load is High indicating poor regulation, Both a good reason to upgrade PSU. Another point, The voltage displayed does not refect neg/pos spikes, so Your +12 V, which is at 11.6 could also be having some spikes down lower than the 11.4 V

On temps, (GPU 55 C is fine) but as I said your CPU temp is too high (reached 72 C within 30 sec of running furmark) It is possible that with longer running you would hit the trottleing back point for the CPU. You need to do something about temps. And I would recommend a new 3rd party HSF, preferably one with a backing plate. Many here recommend the hyper 212, Myself I use the zalman line with a backing plate - HATE them dag burn push pins.

With the Zalman 9700, my core temp for a I5-750 OCed to 3.8 Ghz (vcore of 1.24) does not go above 61 C and that is after running prime 95 for an hour!!!!

Hyper 212
Zalman w/backing plate
One I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 6, 2010 4:21:37 PM

RetiredChief said:
OK - Your 12 Volt is hitting my low limit (Spec is 11.4 V). Also the drop of 0.4 V idle-> full load is High indicating poor regulation, Both a good reason to upgrade PSU. Another point, The voltage displayed does not refect neg/pos spikes, so Your +12 V, which is at 11.6 could also be having some spikes down lower than the 11.4 V

On temps, (GPU 55 C is fine) but as I said your CPU temp is too high (reached 72 C within 30 sec of running furmark) It is possible that with longer running you would hit the trottleing back point for the CPU. You need to do something about temps. And I would recommend a new 3rd party HSF, preferably one with a backing plate. Many here recommend the hyper 212, Myself I use the zalman line with a backing plate - HATE them dag burn push pins.

With the Zalman 9700, my core temp for a I5-750 OCed to 3.8 Ghz (vcore of 1.24) does not go above 61 C and that is after running prime 95 for an hour!!!!

This is all fine and dandy, I'll look into getting both, but will it definitely fix my low frame rates?
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 4:35:07 PM

NO - Not definitly, Possiby yes if temps, or neg +12 V spikes are the cause
What I can say is
But both will prevent you from having to buy a new MB/Processer/and possibly other components in the very near term.

Once you replace the PSU and HSF. then Use CCC to overclock your GPU. The CPU (I5-750 is very easy to do a mild OC (Don't know about the MB as I'm a Gigibyte Fan. We can help with the mild OC of both AFTER the PSU and HSF are replaced, and Yes this will improve frame rates!!
December 6, 2010 4:51:05 PM

RetiredChief said:
NO - Not definitly, Possiby yes if temps, or neg +12 V spikes are the cause
What I can say is
But both will prevent you from having to buy a new MB/Processer/and possibly other components in the very near term.

Once you replace the PSU and HSF. then Use CCC to overclock your GPU. The CPU (I5-750 is very easy to do a mild OC (Don't know about the MB as I'm a Gigibyte Fan. We can help with the mild OC of both AFTER the PSU and HSF are replaced, and Yes this will improve frame rates!!

Ok, Thanks very much for the great help!
!