ATI driver newer than 10.3 not working

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Some how i been unable to install new driver for my power colour hd5770. they latest one i able to install is 10.3. somehow newer driver never work. even when i go to check install log. it say everthying is fine. but when i reboot after installation. it say driver may not installed properly. i even when as far as reinstalling my window 7 32 to wipe all file. but still doesnt work.

here a few thing i notice.

the 10.3 is call 10-3_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu
while anything new is called 10-7_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_enu <-----notice no wdm

also when i install 10.3. it flicker to low resolution back to high resolution. while newer drvier flicker to low resolution and stay at low resolution.

i am runing window 7 32bit. can anyone tell me what wrong? and how to install newer driver?

If the newer drivers can't get stable then stick with the one that works, so if you succeed with 10.3 then continue using it.
Sometime the older driver can be more stable than the latest one. :)

Make sure the 6pin power connector is properly attached.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sometimes it is necessary to properly uninstall previous drivers before installing new drivers. Unfortunately, proper uninstallation requires a bit more work to be done on your side than just clicking Uninstall Ati icon in Remove Programs menu. It is sad that AMD/Ati also advises just clicking Ati icon in Remove Programs menu.

After uninstalling Ati Install Utility in Control Panel\Remove Programs menu and restarting, you have to clean Registry of old AMD/Ati entries. These entries take place in HKCU\Software, HKLM\Software and HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. The keys have names/prefixes ATI, Ati, AMD, amd, etc.

It is important to note that some AMD entries in registry do not belong to Catalyst Control Center settings. You have to delete only the ones that belong to Ati driver/Catalyst Control Center settings. You can differentiate between Ati driver registry entries and others by clicking the registry keys on the left pane and examining the entries on the right pane.

I am not a gamer. Therefore, I do not know how the CCC 10.7 behaves in games. But this CCC release is the one that I liked best and I already backed it up on a CD-R.

One caution: Whatever you may wish to do with registry, please do it at your own risk because you may render your computer brain-dead if you delete an entry that must be there.

Hope this helps.

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
but i reinstall window 7. thus wiping out all files and registrys. but it still didnt work. i am think it must be something to do with "wdm" absent in newer driver

First of all don't even bother with 10.7 use 10.3 or 10.4.
WDM files are included with those releases.
10.7 is the 1st version to exclude the WDM drivers.
Plus if you have a fresh WIN 7 install try reseating your card.
Let windows discover it and re-install 10.3 or 10.4.
In the future when updating CCC uninstall thru Add/Remove
I also use DriverSweeper which picks up additional leftovers and believe me there's lots.

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
In the future when updating CCC uninstall thru Add/Remove
I also use DriverSweeper which picks up additional leftovers and believe me there's lots.

done that but still cant install 10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 driver.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I suggest you to install the drivers this way: Go to Device Manager, expand Display Adapter. Double-click your display adapter (Radeon HD5xxx). Click Driver tab and click Update Driver.

Do not choose automatic driver update. Choose the other option and show the path to the CCC 10.7 drivers folder. Please note this folder is created when you start to install Ati CCC 10.7 (by double-clicking the big .exe file you download from AMD) and is usually in C:\Ati\Support\10-7******\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\

After showing the path, Windows will install the drivers using the .inf file in the folder. After the driver is installed and computer restarted, you should now click/double-click the setup.exe file in C:\Ati\Support\10-7****** folder to install Catalyst Control Center (it will also reinstall the drivers again).

I use this method because my gfx card Radeon HD5770 is not recognized sometimes when I try to install CCC by clicking the big .exe file I download from AMD. (especially after CCC 10.3 and starting with CCC 10.4. Your situation is similar to mine. Now you will have success. Do not bother whether new CCC releases contain WDM or not)

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Personally i'd do the following:-

Uninstall ATI from add/remove programs. Download and install Driver Sweeper. Re-start your PC in safe mode. Run driver sweeper and clean out any ATI stuff. uninstall driver sweeper as i've heard that the ATI drivers don't like this utility for some reason although i've never experienced a problem. Then restart windows and install the latest driver and see how it goes.