Sign in with
Your question

MY AMD PROCESSOR IS BURNING UP AT START UP!

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2010 10:26:43 PM

Hello Everyone!
i have a problem with my amd phenom II X3 720 (stock clock) over heating during and after start up.
the temps on this go above 65 degrees C and is causing my computer to shut down most of the time.
i have a corsair h70 cpu cooler and does its job, when i come to touch the heat sink its warm and i can feel hot water through the exhaust tube. Now most of the time my pc does this during and after start ups, my processor does this and is getting annoying. But at normal start ups my pc my temps are normally between 14 - 18 degrees Celsius. I dont really understand why this is happening, but i thing think it could be my motherboard socket that causing this to happen. i think it could be actually be some mistake in voltages being carried by my motherboard to processor, but then again i checked the bios and everything and the reads are ok. but the temps arent =(. so if u guys have any suggestions that would solve this problem that would be great.

Specs:
Case:Nzxt Tempest Evo
Mobo: Asus M4a89td pro
Cpu: AMD PHENOM II x3 720 @ 2.8 Ghz- stock
Cpu cooler: corsair h70 with push pull configuration, with 1 delta 120mm pwm case fan (4000 rpm) and 1 nzxt 120mm (1600) rpm
MEM: (2pairs, total of 16gb)8Gb (2x4gb) gbCorsair XMS Dual channel 2000mhz ddr3 memory @ 1866 with corsair airflow fan VERY STABLE!!
Graphics: Asus 5870 rog platinum edition (matrix) with zotac 9800 gt 1gb for physx
Hard drive: 4x 10,000rpm 600gb veloci raptors (sata III) 2 of each in raid 1
SSD: 2x ocz realssd c300s in raid 1 (sataIII)
PSU: corsair 850hx
Other inputs:asus xonar 7.1 channel sound card, nzxt sentry lx, & sony black blue ray burner
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 10:50:10 PM

When it overheats are you sure the cpu heatsink fans are spinning?

Just wondering if you have a heatsink/fan/fan connector problem??
m
l
December 5, 2010 10:53:26 PM

yes they are in fact; loud and annoying at times and
my radiator seems ok and it does its job but i still dont know why my cpu does this
could it be given a different voltage ?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 11:05:17 PM

Well if it was me the next thing I'd do is take the cpu out and give the socket a good blow out.

Then re-do the thermal paste application which you probably know but anyway -
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

And I'd replace your cooler fans with a couple of these -
http://www.enermax.co.uk/index.php?L=2&id=133

But fan noise isn't really the main issue here.

Only other thing I'd make sure you have the latest bios for your board.
m
l
December 5, 2010 11:18:37 PM

Well, i have re-pasted my cpu with a freshhhh batch of artic silver 5 about a 2.5 weeks ago and well they made a difference but it dint seem to fix my prob, and with fan noise is not really a problem cuz i have a fan controller that tweaks my delta to 1600 rpm. Well yeah i do have the latest bios btw.
do u think it can be the mainboard? i have a multimeter to test the voltage wit it but i dont know where to put the leads.
m
l
December 5, 2010 11:24:43 PM

Only two things I can think of. I also have the H70 and when i had the heatsink mounted so the tubes were on top I heard slight clicking coming from the pump indication cavitation. If you can hear this, and its fairly obvious, you might need to either rotate the heatsink or figure out a way to raise the radiator higher, which will increase your net positive suction head (the amount of pressure at the inlet to the pump). The other thing is the voltage as you said. If it is set to auto, set a manual voltage and see if that has an effect. These are the only two things I can think of, if you're getting normal temperatures some of the time then your mounting and thermal grease application are fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 11:25:30 PM

Sounds like it could be a technical problem then either mobo, psu or cpu related, how old is your gear?

Only suggestion is try a different psu and cpu if available to eliminate each possible culprit.

Apart from that I'm out of technical know how, sorry mate. :pfff: 
m
l
December 5, 2010 11:43:07 PM

sk1n5 said:
Only two things I can think of. I also have the H70 and when i had the heatsink mounted so the tubes were on top I heard slight clicking coming from the pump indication cavitation. If you can hear this, and its fairly obvious, you might need to either rotate the heatsink or figure out a way to raise the radiator higher, which will increase your net positive suction head (the amount of pressure at the inlet to the pump). The other thing is the voltage as you said. If it is set to auto, set a manual voltage and see if that has an effect. These are the only two things I can think of, if you're getting normal temperatures some of the time then your mounting and thermal grease application are fine.

well i never heard that noise and i cant mount my radiator on top of my case or at any other location because my case has 2 140mm mounted fans on top and the mounting does not support 120mm. Setting my voltage manually never has been done but ill try that, but right now lol i think i found my answer because im trying out my other cpu right now which is a the phenom II 550 and the temps are ridculously low lol . but if your wondering how i did it so fast, its because of my ssd's there beast. But my question is still unclear tho everything on my cpu is oK!! no bent pins no corrosion from heat. idk, but i think my cpu is getting closer to its death bed. but im really pissed that ive only had this for about a year and a half, so im going to use this till it dies.
thx for the response tho guys i appreciate it
m
l
December 5, 2010 11:48:24 PM

BTW
amd vs intel
who are u guys with for next year?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2010 10:33:14 AM

You did say it was random though so make sure you give your other cpu a good test before deciding.

I've always been amd but am eyeing up an x58 system at the mo, currently quad core amd.

The Dark Side is calling. :pfff: 

Have you tried unlocking your cpu's?
m
l
December 14, 2010 8:05:20 PM

beanoslim said:
You did say it was random though so make sure you give your other cpu a good test before deciding.

I've always been amd but am eyeing up an x58 system at the mo, currently quad core amd.

The Dark Side is calling. :pfff: 

Have you tried unlocking your cpu's?

ohh yeah of course, ive done many benches and stress-run throughs, but i made a very big discovery that my motherboard wasnt giving my pump the adequete volts it needed. and i finally noticed that when i checked the rpms on it and the voltage through; bios, my fan controller, and finally my multimeter just to make sure, and i got a completely different voltage from my motherboard to my fan controller, so i guess my motherboard had a faulty 3 pin on it. :pfff: 
well anyways, it always important to double or even sometimes triple check if your right. lol
so currently im using my regular processor at this time. for the next 2 years ill be having same system. So when i get the money i need for a beast dx12-13 machine ill be happy. lol
but, why a x58 system? it still uses a 3gb/s interface as well as the 2.0 pcie slot. u should save to get the new boards that are coming with the newer chipset next year, imo i think are better for the future
and no i dont unlock cpu's i want my cpu to last=)
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 9:14:07 PM

Glad you got some answers.

Unlocking doesn't harm your cpu if you look after it.

X58 is just a good price at present for what you get. I don't use my rig for gaming and seeing as I am upgrading from a quad with DDR2 it will be a nice improvement. Plus who knows what the new boards will bring and at what price.
m
l
!