mindkilla123

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I know this may seem like an older question but i'm looking to buy a new graphics card due to gt220 software issues... i'm now completely turned off by nvidia so....
I'm looking to either buy a
180$ ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 video card
or a
160$ ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 video card
These seem almost identical seeing as they are almost the same gpu but one has 256-bit and one has 128-bit, is it really worth the
20$ for an older card or should i buy the slightly newer one that seems to have better cooling?

Solution
It's actually not slower at this point. It was on the initial drivers but over the last year as the drivers have matured it has caught up. Here is a recent chart from a GTX 460 review;
perfrel.gif

So the card is equal in performance, DX11 and much more power efficient than the HD4870. That it is cheaper as well makes it a no-brainer.
It's actually not slower at this point. It was on the initial drivers but over the last year as the drivers have matured it has caught up. Here is a recent chart from a GTX 460 review;
perfrel.gif

So the card is equal in performance, DX11 and much more power efficient than the HD4870. That it is cheaper as well makes it a no-brainer.

Solution