Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sony Vaio PCG F290 - need original bios (or, I HAVE NO MOU..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 25, 2004 1:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I bought a used PCG F290 (400 mhz, 128mb, Win98) but the previous owner
mucked up the BIOS and completely disabled mouse functionality. The
laptop won't recognize an attached mouse, and the touchpad is detected,
but not working. System Properties shows the pad with an unknown conflict.

I ordered the system restore cd set, and got everything back to factory
settings-- EXCEPT the BIOS. So still, no mouse (among other things--
but once I get the mouse back, I'll be cooking with gas).

Anybody know how I can track this thing down? Is it somewhere on the
System restore CD's and I just haven't figured it out? Many Google
searches have proved fruitless as far as the location of the original
BIOS. Any tips? Or perhaps someone out there has a copy?

Thanks,
Dave

--
"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
shoes." - unknown
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 25, 2004 1:43:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Angry Red Herring wrote:
> I bought a used PCG F290 (400 mhz, 128mb, Win98) but the previous
> owner mucked up the BIOS and completely disabled mouse functionality.
> The laptop won't recognize an attached mouse, and the touchpad is
> detected, but not working. System Properties shows the pad with an
> unknown conflict.
> I ordered the system restore cd set, and got everything back to
> factory settings-- EXCEPT the BIOS. So still, no mouse (among other
> things--
> but once I get the mouse back, I'll be cooking with gas).
>
> Anybody know how I can track this thing down? Is it somewhere on the
> System restore CD's and I just haven't figured it out? Many Google
> searches have proved fruitless as far as the location of the original
> BIOS. Any tips? Or perhaps someone out there has a copy?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Are you saying that when selecting the option in BIOS Setup to Restore
Default settings that it does not work?

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 25, 2004 9:53:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:

> Angry Red Herring wrote:
>
>>I bought a used PCG F290 (400 mhz, 128mb, Win98) but the previous
>>owner mucked up the BIOS and completely disabled mouse functionality.
>>The laptop won't recognize an attached mouse, and the touchpad is
>>detected, but not working. System Properties shows the pad with an
>>unknown conflict.
>>I ordered the system restore cd set, and got everything back to
>>factory settings-- EXCEPT the BIOS. So still, no mouse (among other
>>things--
>>but once I get the mouse back, I'll be cooking with gas).
>>
>>Anybody know how I can track this thing down? Is it somewhere on the
>>System restore CD's and I just haven't figured it out? Many Google
>>searches have proved fruitless as far as the location of the original
>>BIOS. Any tips? Or perhaps someone out there has a copy?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Dave
>
>
> Are you saying that when selecting the option in BIOS Setup to Restore
> Default settings that it does not work?
>
> Q

Not as far as I can tell. The BIOS is still listed as "W2K060", which
is the Windows 200 upgrade (that started this whole mess, apparently).
It doesn't seem to affect any Windows functions when I set it to
default, and when I reboot and check the BIOS again, it's still the same
version. Restore Default Settings doesn't seem to affect the BIOS version.

I managed to get the mouse cursor to move a bit using MouseKeys in the
Accessibility Options, but it's wonky for the most part, and seemingly
useless due to the merged 10 key/keyboard.

Still seeking the original BIOS... *sob*

Dave

--
"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
shoes." - unknown
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 25, 2004 10:01:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Is it possible you are sold a defective laptop? Mouse function is
pretty basic stuff.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 26, 2004 7:35:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Angry Red Herring" <angryred@hypercon.com> wrote in message
news:2Wkzd.6432$iC4.1216@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
|
| Thanks for the well-written description-- but I've already tried that. :( 
| Enabling (or disabling, as it was already enabled) the Touchpad in
| Notebook Setup does nothing.
|
| You mentioned the CMOS-- is there something I could do there that would
| affect it? Would removing the battery reset those values, or would it
| even make a difference other then the system clock?
|
| Thanks,
| Dave
|
| --
| "If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
| their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
| shoes." - unknown
|
|
|

Hi Dave -

As bobb says... Touchpad functionality is pretty basic. They are generally
recognized as "mouse" plugged into a PS/2 port. This is a legacy device
which probably wouldn't be affected one iota by a BIOS update for Windows
2000 (which, likely, addressed power management issues, as the F290 appears
to be from the era of Windows 98 Gold, which only supported APM... where
Windows 2000 usually functions better under ACPI).

The "CMOS" I mention is not something you can really fiddle with, per se.
This is non-volatile memory where your BIOS settings and such items, as Sony
Notebook Setup's Touchpad on/off setting, are stored.

What does Device Manager say about your touchpad? Does it list the
touchpad? Does it show that the device has been detected properly and has a
device driver started with no error code?

If the device is detected and started properly you either have a defective
touchpad, its connector has come loose from the motherboard, the ribbon
cable between touchpad and motherboard has been damaged or the connector to
the motherboard is defective or damaged. But then, failing all the former,
the motherboard could be on its way out as well.

What kind of external mouse have you tried? Was it a USB mouse? Does the
F290 even have USB ports?

You say you restored to the recovery CD from Sony. Was this a Windows 98
Gold (original) Edition or Windows 98SE? USB support was released between
the time of Windows 98 Gold and Windows 98SE, as I recall... though many
manufacturers supported USB with 3rd-party drivers with the Windows 98 Gold
release.

Does the F290 have an external PS/2 port? If so, have you tried a PS/2
mouse?

There is a download on the Sony support site for Sony Notebook Setup for
Windows 98SE. There are several items that must be downloaded and installed
in advance of this program. If you have a Windows 98SE CD around, you may
want to try a clean install with that, with all the device drivers and many
of the proprietary utilities being available for download and install. See
the following link:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=...

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 12:53:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jef Norton wrote:

> Hi Dave -
>
> As bobb says... Touchpad functionality is pretty basic. They are generally
> recognized as "mouse" plugged into a PS/2 port. This is a legacy device
> which probably wouldn't be affected one iota by a BIOS update for Windows
> 2000 (which, likely, addressed power management issues, as the F290 appears
> to be from the era of Windows 98 Gold, which only supported APM... where
> Windows 2000 usually functions better under ACPI).
>
> The "CMOS" I mention is not something you can really fiddle with, per se.
> This is non-volatile memory where your BIOS settings and such items, as Sony
> Notebook Setup's Touchpad on/off setting, are stored.
>
> What does Device Manager say about your touchpad? Does it list the
> touchpad? Does it show that the device has been detected properly and has a
> device driver started with no error code?
>
> If the device is detected and started properly you either have a defective
> touchpad, its connector has come loose from the motherboard, the ribbon
> cable between touchpad and motherboard has been damaged or the connector to
> the motherboard is defective or damaged. But then, failing all the former,
> the motherboard could be on its way out as well.
>
> What kind of external mouse have you tried? Was it a USB mouse? Does the
> F290 even have USB ports?
>
> You say you restored to the recovery CD from Sony. Was this a Windows 98
> Gold (original) Edition or Windows 98SE? USB support was released between
> the time of Windows 98 Gold and Windows 98SE, as I recall... though many
> manufacturers supported USB with 3rd-party drivers with the Windows 98 Gold
> release.
>
> Does the F290 have an external PS/2 port? If so, have you tried a PS/2
> mouse?



Well, when I got the thing, W2K was on it, and there was no mouse cursor
at all. There were no references to a mouse (or any control devices
other than the keyboard) in the device manager. It came with a USB
mouse, but that did nothing and also wasn't detected. I (and this is
starting to look like poor judgement on my part) that it had to be
something I could fix. I tried a PS2 mouse at home, also nothing.

I did a reinstall of W2K and managed to get the references to mice in
device manager to appear (although conflicted/inoperable). But no
cursor, and no mouse/touchpad functionality. Then, once the System
Restore disks arrived and I went back to Win98, the mouse cursor
reappeared, but still no mouse control despite the full original device
drivers for the touchpad. On startup, Win98 would say that no mouse was
detected and that I could "safely attach a serial mouse now". I had a
ps2 to serial adapter, and even that wasn't detected. This time,
plugging in the USB mouse did have an effect-- it was as though Windows
kept trying to recognize the mouse, but kept failing. Navigating in
Windows slowed to a crawl while the USB mouse was attached.

..
..
..
(Suddenly, in the middle of his post, he has a brainstorm)
..
..
..

....Okay, so I yanked my wife's optical USB mouse out and plugged it in
and BAM. Working optical USB mouse. The mouse that came with the
laptop was screwed up, royally screwing up my process of elimination (I
honestly think that it's the first broken mouse I've ever encountered--
just my luck). At least now I can navigate at regular speed. That
should help me in figuring out these other oddities (touchpad, battery
not detected, etc.).

You guys have been great. Thanks for all your help. After having taken
it apart, I saw some signs that it may have sustained a hearty whack.
What puzzles me is that the small board that controls both the touchpad
and the battery (neither working, but apparently connected) also
controls the floppy drive, which works fine.

(Just discovered that the floppy bay also acts as a secondary battery
bay, and that works.)

I'm going to move on and test all the various ports-- 56k, printer,
monitor-- to see if there are any other doohickies not working. But for
now, atleast it does what I need it to do, and I'm in nowhere near as
much a hurry to get it repaired.

Thanks guys,
Dave


--
"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
shoes." - unknown
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 4:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi Dave -

Good to read you've finally made progress.

Good luck getting the rest of the computer functional... though I suspect
you'll probably never get the touchpad working without replacing parts
(there are 3rd party sites that sell parts for VAIOs... such as Impact
Computers and Sony Spare Parts).

You cannot simply connect a PS/2 mouse or serial mouse while the computer is
running -- these legacy devices generally are only detected by the BIOS at
startup.

Jef
!