Accessing files over the internet with Windows Server 2003

I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard, and I was wondering the best way to allow myself to access my files over the internet. Does anyone know of a good, generally easy way to do so. Not big on spending money, so the more free ways the better haha.

Thankkssss :D
3 answers Last reply
More about accessing files internet windows server 2003
  1. SMB (if not blocked by ISP, and not too secure), FTP (not very secure either), sFTP (more secure), HTTP, Remote Desktop, VNC, or a VPN.

I'd use Remote Desktop; it ships with Server 2003 and you do not need a Terminal Server License for the main Administrator Account. IF you want a VPN Hamachi is free for non-business customers, but using Server 2003, even at home, might need a paid version since it's considered a business class o/s.

Hamachi: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/
  2. Ok, I set up FTP, with a username and password etc. But how do I get it so that I can access it at like, school or something? I notice I am using a local IP address, so it won't work at school obviously.
  3. ohh you're behind a firewall. Do you have admin to the firewall/router?

If it's a SOHO router, like a WiFi router, it is as simple as forwarding a port or putting your Win2K server in the DMZ (dmz not recommended). If it's something like a Cisco PIX, I cannot help, sorry.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Server 2003 Internet Networking Product