Sign in with
Your question

What chip would you use?

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2010 11:22:12 PM

Hello,
I'm running Lightroom in CS4. I'm trying to figure out what Intel or AMD Chip will run CS4 faster. Lot's of chips and data. Looking at a Phenom II or Intel I5. Anyone have an opinion?Thanks!

More about : chip

a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 5, 2010 11:31:39 PM

Generally, when performance really matters, Intel chips are faster than AMD chips. They will cost more, but they will be faster.

Things may change with Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer if you can afford to wait.
m
l
December 6, 2010 12:39:41 AM

Hey,

I would personally go with an AMD for applications such as Photoshop as they can make use of multicore. The reason i say this is because AMD's are a lot cheaper, meaning that you could get a Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz (6 Core) processor for ALOT cheaper than a Intel CPU with only 4 cores. SURE the intel might be a bit faster, but the AMD is the best option i think....

Cheers,
xXCozter8Xx
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2010 12:56:09 AM

^ . . . which sort of proves jsc's point.
m
l
December 6, 2010 1:00:33 AM

Hey there,

AMD and Intel run about the same speed, but AMD runs much much hotter than intel, causing most of their CPU's to run at lower Ghz. The i5 will run CS4 due to hyper threading technology, but more importantly...Turboboost, which means the i5 will (for argument sake) OC itself to meet the demanding needs of the software(s) you're running.

Hope this helps.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
December 6, 2010 7:02:41 PM

Intel excels over AMD by a considerable margin when it comes to Adobe applications.. The i5 (assuming you are talking about the quad core i5 750/760) will be a better buy here..
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 6, 2010 7:22:45 PM

FSUMack86 said:
Hey there,

AMD and Intel run about the same speed, but AMD runs much much hotter than intel, causing most of their CPU's to run at lower Ghz. The i5 will run CS4 due to hyper threading technology, but more importantly...Turboboost, which means the i5 will (for argument sake) OC itself to meet the demanding needs of the software(s) you're running.

Hope this helps.

:lol:  Maybe before 2008. I7 runs a hell of a lot hotter than Phenom II, and AMD chips currently come with higher clock speeds.

m
l
December 9, 2010 1:45:39 AM

Quote:
just running the one (heavy threaded) app or multi-tasking with other apps running.?
I'm trying to figure out your exact usage.

Just running the one app and maybe a music player.
Thanks for the info.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2010 2:53:06 AM

Emperus said:
Intel excels over AMD by a considerable margin when it comes to Adobe applications.. The i5 (assuming you are talking about the quad core i5 750/760) will be a better buy here..

I agree, even though AMD excels at multi-threading, Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom are more dependant on two threads. Intel CPUs are far better at Lightroom than AMD systems. It's only recommended in well-threaded environments such as in Premiere or After Effects.
m
l
December 11, 2010 2:22:44 PM

trying to keep it at $1,000 for the tower.
m
l
December 11, 2010 2:23:52 PM

amdfangirl said:
I agree, even though AMD excels at multi-threading, Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom are more dependant on two threads. Intel CPUs are far better at Lightroom than AMD systems. It's only recommended in well-threaded environments such as in Premiere or After Effects.

great info. thanks amdfangirl. what intel chip would you buy: I5 or I7?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2010 5:18:27 PM

Personally I would wait for the new Intel Sandybridge CPU's since they will be coming out in just about a months time in January 2011.That's not long of a wait.
You could get a start on it by choosing your case,power supply,GPU,Hard Drive and/or SSD,Optical Drive and Operating system to give you something to do during the meantime.
m
l
!