Sign in with
Your question

P5G41M-LX2/GB won't POST after multiple RMA's. what to do...

Last response: in Motherboards
August 2, 2011 10:29:41 PM

I have an issue with my computer and I really don't know what to do at this point. The computer hasn't been able to POST for a while and I have been trying to work with ASUS to make it work.

The issue is as follows: The motherboard shows a power light when the power is turned on, when you press the power button, the fans start up and you can hear the hard drive being accessed, but their is never any video and the hard drive noise goes away (read/writes go away, but it is still spinning), but nothing happens.

I have RMA'd the board through ASUS three times, which after the third one they gave me a new one, which I have RMA'd as well. Today I got the new RMA board back, and it was able to boot, but after a about an hour (just after I got Windows installed on the hard drive, it crashed and went back to the "broken" state. After I RMA'd the first board once and it still didnt work, I RMA'd the processor i had (Pentium E5500) and it still didnt work. I have also cross tested the processors and power supplies. Here is the combination of things i have tried:

Processors:
-Pentium E5500 (old and new)
-Pentium Q9550
-Pentium E3400 (this is the only one that ASUS says is compatible. Apparently according to ASUS this board only supports 4 processors, however I have 4 of the exact same computers that have E5500's in them and they dont have an issue)

Power Supply:
Corsair CX430
Antec Earthwatts EA-380D
Antec Earthwatts 650

I have tried 4 different sticks of DDR2 memory that have passed Memtest and have been used in other computers just fine

The frustrating thing about this board is that it does not have an internal speaker or external pins for a speaker, so I can't give beep codes (that would have been very helpful by now)

Here are my only thoughts at this point that are causing the issue:
1) Poor grounding from the case causes a short (It's a Thermaltake V3 case)
2) Somehow I have bad memory that shorts the board somehow
3) Poor RMA repairs done by ASUS

I am really looking for opinions on the following:
1) Is it worth it to try to RMA this board again? I have spent about 4 months dealing with ASUS trying to get this fixed (each RMA takes about 2-3 weeks to process. They never seem to have the replacement board on hand to do a expedited RMA), and I don't know whether its worth it.

2) Should I worry about something else killing the board?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian
August 3, 2011 3:03:28 AM

Honestly, you need to take a step back and look at this logically. If you have RMA'd this board that many times, then perhaps it's not the motherboard.

Knowing the motherboard is fine, eliminate other causes.

My suggestion, assemble the basics outside of the case, see if it post's. (Basic being board, memory, CPU, PSU, GPU/vid card if no on board)

If it posts, add all of your basic components (minus the case obviously), if one makes it stop posting, then it's obvious that component could be the cause.

If none do, transplant back into case, if doesn't post, then the case is the culprit. I know it sounds unlikely, but in my experience ANYTHING can be bad/faulty, including the case.
m
l
August 3, 2011 4:44:39 AM

Also I'd check if any of the memory you've tried if rated to be compatible with the board, for safe measure.
m
l
!