What is a Power user and how do i set it up?

July 23, 2005 2:01:01 PM

can somebody help me here? i am running Windows XP SP2 and am having some
problems. I cannot update the registry. whenever i install a new programsuch
as Winzip the program itself installs okay but then when i go to open a ZIP
file it comes up with the "open files with...." box and i click on Winzip and
ask it to always open it with that program. I tried another program and tried
to set the default to open Zip files, but i get message box saying You need
to be an Administrator or Power User to edit the default Programs, and All
the Users on the computer are Administrators. Any ideas anyone?

More about : power user set

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:46:36 PM

You should recreate your profile.

Log in as another Administrator, rename your profile in Documents &
Settings, log out, and log in as yourself. Copy Desktop and My Documents
items back, recreate email accounts, import Inbox, Calendar etc., Favorites
etc.
July 24, 2005 11:46:37 PM

the file extension problems is system-wide, all profiles say the same thing
when i try to update.

"Jetro" wrote:

> You should recreate your profile.
>
> Log in as another Administrator, rename your profile in Documents &
> Settings, log out, and log in as yourself. Copy Desktop and My Documents
> items back, recreate email accounts, import Inbox, Calendar etc., Favorites
> etc.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:35:53 AM

If newly created profile won't help, check permissions on
%systemroot%\system32\config directory and files and repair the
installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315341
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
!