Why BOSE does not reveal its product specifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I mean I really can not believe that they expect us to buy the product without even telling anything about it and just on the basis " You buy this because we are telling you it is good ".

On the one hand where it looks absolutely rubbish, is it not a legal requirement for any company to give details about its product ?

When you go into a bose showroom they simply ask you to listen to it and judge. Trust me if you are not told that you are hearing a BOSE companion 5 or 3 and asked to listen just blindfolded no one can tell a difference.

And over that these people charge exorbitant and absolutely rubbish prices.

I found this a big injustice with consumers which I do not think how governments allow.

Solution
Not really fair to claim 2.8Ghz can have lots of variables, its a measure of how many cycles a chip runs per second,
I.E. a fixed unit of measure like feet and inches, if twenty people are six foot three inches tall, they're all the same height, and all 2.8Ghz chips run at the same speed, you cant compare that to watts as a sound measurement because to begin with there are how many versions of watts? P.M.P.O., R.M.S. 'true wattage'
I'm sorry my first answer wasn't clear enough, if people want to pose and spend shedloads of money on a name, let them, your choice is whether YOU are a sheep or not
Moto
Yay! consumer issues ftw!
You may not buy a set of Bose sound gear because they say its good, but does your consumer awareness extend similarly to any purchase you make?

do you buy Levi's over a shops generic brand?
a Ferrari over a Ford?
Intel over Amd?
I'm looking forward to watching this thread bring out the best (and worst) arguments from members hehe,
As Plumble says consumers have the freedom to walk away from a purchase, so manufacturers have to give us reason to choose their product over a competitors, and they can be very sneaky as to how they do that.
Moto

Because specs are absolutely meaningless, especially on audio equipment where everyone measures differently, no one ever indicates how long peak is for, is it 1ms or 1s? Then you have specs like the ones on this page
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+6-1/2%22+2-Way+Car+Speaker+with+Composite+IMPP+Woofer+Cones+(Pair)/9454752.p?id=1218109605642&skuId=9454752

Handles up to 180W peak power (30W RMS)
For rich sound.

Wattage has nothing to do with how rich the sound is, if you dont reproduce it cleanly it doesnt matter how much power you have behind it

30Hz - 28kHz frequency response
For a wide range of accurate sound production.

Why 28kHz? Oh yeah, because its a big number that looks cool but is absolutely meaningless since the absolute max a human can hear is 20kHz, most cant hear above 17kHz.

Half the specs dont even tell you about the performance of the speaker in any way you would care about it, you would need lots of graphs to convey the information and that would just overwhelm people. Do you know if a 2 Ohm, 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm speaker is better? The answer is dependent on the system you have, if the amps call for 8 Ohm speakers then they are best, if they call for 4 Ohm they are best, many audio specs are very dependent on the amplifier used with them and listing the specs of each component alone just doesnt convey anything but FUD.

So by not listing specs, they are actually choosing NOT to lie to you, consider that one for a minute.

Just like picking out a TV or a monitor, you go and pick on that you think looks good, if the specs are super awesome but every time it tries to show a blue it comes out greenish you wouldnt buy it would you? Thats why they have show rooms so you can listen to it, if you cant tell the difference then just pick up the cheapest set of speakers you can find, but many people can tell the difference, and it is worth it.

No.

Not unless BOSE completely changes it's business model and starts selling food products which falls under the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) jurisdiction.

There is no law which forces electronic companies to disclose technical information of their products.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Acoustic is an established field of science and just like every science it also must have defined stats and benchmarks. Had we been talking about something such as ASTROLOGY which does not have universally accepted standards your argument would hold true but not here.

I am sure figures like 20 ohm, 25khz, 300 watt RMS can be beyond ones comprehension if you consider how they are presented as everyone will only tell what looks cool to hear however it does give us (buyers) some idea about what we are buying.

This is just like telling a processor runs at 2.8 ghz though in reality their can be lots of different hyper-technical variables hidden. I am sure whenever the first processor was advertised they must have told the processor speed or at the max the cache memory but today we even know the code name under which the processor was initially started.

And this is how it should go. As per me it is upto vendor to tell us what he is selling irrespective of the fact we understand it or not which is upto us.

By totally hiding it you are just doing a HYPE SELLING which tells me that you are selling your name and not your technology.

Not really fair to claim 2.8Ghz can have lots of variables, its a measure of how many cycles a chip runs per second,
I.E. a fixed unit of measure like feet and inches, if twenty people are six foot three inches tall, they're all the same height, and all 2.8Ghz chips run at the same speed, you cant compare that to watts as a sound measurement because to begin with there are how many versions of watts? P.M.P.O., R.M.S. 'true wattage'
I'm sorry my first answer wasn't clear enough, if people want to pose and spend shedloads of money on a name, let them, your choice is whether YOU are a sheep or not
Moto

Solution

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

I think it is a good example. CPU speed is quoted in GHz. However compareCPU speeds.

Xeon X5660 2.8 GHz
Xeon X3460 2.8 GHz
I7 930 2.8 GHz
I7 860 2.8 GHz
I7 m 640 2.8GHz
Pentium D 2.8GHz
Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
Core 2 Duo P9700 2.8GHz
Core 2 Duo E8235 2.8GHz
Pentium dual core E6300 2.8 GHz
Core 2 duo E7400 2.8 GHz
Core 2 Xtreme x9000 2.8 GHz
Pentium dual core E5500 2.8 GHz

I will conceed that there is a different number of cores, however in retail, is there real understanding? The average computer buyer only knows speed.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Perfect, and yet these are displayed. Now it is upto the buyer to simply overlook the other figures and just see the speed stats or be like some of us who dig in.
And I would agree that there are still lots of figures which are not shown, after all even a knowledgeable buyer has a limit but that does not mean you tell us nothing.

And BTW why won't BOSE do it when there are people who are ready to close their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.