Sign in with
Your question

Gaming pc-2800$ budget.

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2010 9:45:18 PM

What do you think of my build ? any suggestions, changes, or a complete over-hall.
Ram-Corsair XMS3 (4x2GB)-220$
Motherboard- Asus Rampage III Gene- 239.99$
Case- LIAN LI PC 7FNWX- 199.99$
Graphics Card- Sapphire Vapor-x Radeon HD 5870 1GB x2 - 870$
CPU- Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz- 300$
Hard drive- Western digital 300GB 10,000 RMP 300gb-180$

Several direct questions i have is will x2 of the graphics cards fit in this case, or is a full-tower needed?
And are their any things i can do without, or things i should add. i would prefer to spend under 3,000$ but would like the computer to last a few years and be top-end, or able to run up and coming games. if you wish to make your own build as a recommendation with in the budget of 2,000$-3,000$ i am more than open to suggestions. The total cost should also include operating system, cd/dvd tray.

More about : gaming 2800 budget

September 13, 2010 11:15:46 PM

Raptor isn't worth it.

There's no way a gaming system built today, even for 10000, will be able to max games in two years. Technology just moves too fast. IMO split your budget and get one nice system and another in 2/3 years.
m
l
September 13, 2010 11:19:28 PM

10K HDDs are outdated. Get a good 500GB platter 7200rpm Drive (Samsung F3, WD black FAEX) and a good SSD (OCZ Vertex 2, etc)

With an x58 motherboard you buy ram sticks in 3s. So 6GB (3x2GB) would be ideal. Corsair has been generally overpriced, cas7 DDR3-1600 Gskill, geil, mushkin is probably cheaper for the same speed. Avoid OCZ RAM right now.

For less money you can get a good 5970 and overclock it up to 5870x2 speeds.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know Lian Li makes good quality cases, but thats very expensive, not very big, and only has 2 fans. An Antec 1200 or HAF 932 would make more sense.

The new HAF 912 actually fits the huge 12 inch 5970 into a smaller case size and has front dust filters to help keep maintenance lower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You failed to list one of the most important components: The power supply. Quality means consistent voltage, means no power caused random lockups/freezing. Bad quality PSUs can fry your mobo, RAM and graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2010 11:49:13 PM

sorry about that, power supply is corsair HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W
m
l
September 14, 2010 12:37:19 PM

As others have suggested, and according to your budget, I'd definitely be looking at a SSD instead of a HDD, for starters.
m
l
September 14, 2010 1:22:58 PM

Money not spent that well.. and really for a gaming PC $2000 (give or take) budget would be the most you should spend on a gaming machine..
m
l
September 14, 2010 4:43:43 PM

Mr Pizza said:
Money not spent that well.. and really for a gaming PC $2000 (give or take) budget would be the most you should spend on a gaming machine..

You can spend as much as you want on a gaming machine don't tell people otherwise. Audiophiles spend several thousands of dollars audio equipment, some fishers spend over a thousand on a fishing rod, some people spend a few thousand on a surfboard or kite surfing equipement. Why would you forbid a gaming enthousiast to spend on his hobby?

for 2800 I would get

CPU: i7 950

Mobo: ga-x58a-ud3r

RAM: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI rated for 1.5v

GPU: Palit NE5TX470F10DA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card . Then two of these for sli. 470 sli will perform on par with or above the far more expensive 5870 CF so it really is amazing bang for buck.

Storage solution: OCZ vertex 2 60gb + samsung spinpoint f3 1tb + silverstone HDD boost. Let me briefly clarify: Vertex 2 is extremely fast and more than 60gb is insanely expensive. Spinpoints f3s are quiet, cool and reasonable fast. And HDD boost to merge speed and size into without expinsive adaptech raid controllers and other similarly products.

Case: fractal define r3 because it looks much much better IMO than the price range competition, it's very quiet with the dampening pads and performs better than the competition cases if the pads are replaced with fans.

Power supply: xfx 850w/750w for overclockers/non-overclockers. Good price, modular and very good performance. It also leaves room for upgrades.

DVD burner: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner

CPU cooler: Corsair h70. Space effiecient and very good performance.

Sound-card: auzentech X-raider(depending on your audio system of course but for this kind of build HD595 headphones or similar quality audio systems are reasonable and for that this card is great)

with newegg pricing ATM that comes to around 1950 without combos and discounts. That's for an allrounder very responsive(SSD) system with no space restrictions on the storage drives(HDD BOOST). It'll handles any games very well and and will probably do so for years to come(470 sli). It performs well in proffesional apps like photoshop(CUDA + i7 930). It looks great while still not drawing to much attention and taking to much space (define R3). It will render and compress very well(i7 930). For the enthousiasts who want to take their system the extra mile it has quite some overclocking potential(i7 930 + 470s). And for the hardcore gamers it will support 3d surround/3d vision/ 2d surround/ physX. The sound card also provides optimal sound for games, movies and music(auzentech x-raider). Also the sound card takes a load of the 930 making it a more effective CPU in games and other apps where sound is playing I presume.

That's the build I posted on the 2k intel build best config. I wouldn't change the main parts. If you go higher bang for buck is out of the equation.

You could however go with a better case like the lian li or my personal favourite http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's mid tower so not overly large and the best performer on the market.

I'd also maybe upgrade the mobo to a rampage III formula. And the sound card to an asus xonar d2x.

The cooler is overkill and won't fi in the silverstone so maybe a noctua d14 or scythe mugen 2.

You could spend more on the storage solution but I'd opt for peripherals(gaming kb/mouse, logitech g940, good headset, 3 screens for 2d surround, g27, etc....)
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:14:27 PM

Quote:
You can't use that ram kit.

If I was going to spend that much money on a gaming pc (and I never would even spend half that), I would wait for the new sockets in a couple/few months.

The new sockets will only support mid range quad cores. Like the 750 I presume. Thus x58 would still be a higher end platform capable of supporting better CPUs. And x58 get's replaced much later.
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:36:32 PM

Quote:
You can't use that ram kit.

Not trying to be pedantic here, but he could use that RAM kit. It's just not the best idea, as you'd disable triple-channel. It's probably not a huge performance hit, but it's a performance hit nonetheless.

In general, I think somebody_007's build is pretty good.

I'm unsure that the HDD Boost & soundcard are necessary, but some might like them. Case is very much a matter of personal taste. Some might like something chunkier & with more lights, like an HAF 922 or 932.

If you went with an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, you'd likely have to change RAM, as the G.Skill PI series doesn't fit underneath it.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:00:27 PM

why dont u save some money and get an amd build that can max all games and upgrade in the futurei think its better

AMD PHENOM II X4 955

XFX ATI RAEDEON HD5870

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

XFX BLACK EDITION 850W

G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ PC-12800 CL7 DUAL CHANNEL 7-7-7-24

SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB

the case u want

and if u want u can add an ssd 120gb or 60gb ocz vertex ii
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:07:47 PM

Juanchioo said:
why dont u save some money and get an amd build that can max all games and upgrade in the futurei think its better

What is your upgrade plan? There are no sockets that are viable to upgrade on right now.

A few months back, when it was uncertain whether or not AM3 motherboard would support Bulldozer, this made sense. Now that we know otherwise, it doesn't make sense.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:12:01 PM

coldsleep said:
Not trying to be pedantic here, but he could use that RAM kit. It's just not the best idea, as you'd disable triple-channel. It's probably not a huge performance hit, but it's a performance hit nonetheless.

In general, I think somebody_007's build is pretty good.

I'm unsure that the HDD Boost & soundcard are necessary, but some might like them. Case is very much a matter of personal taste. Some might like something chunkier & with more lights, like an HAF 922 or 932.

If you went with an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, you'd likely have to change RAM, as the G.Skill PI series doesn't fit underneath it.

Frankly I don't see why there is so much hassle about x58 needing tripple channel memory. Even when comparing single channel to tripple channel the differences in real world apps and usages are minimal or even neglectable.

HDD boost may be a little exagerated but I think it's worth it when it saves you tha hassle of having 2 different drives. But then this is very personal.

Then the sound card. There is lots and lots of discussion around this whether a sound card makes a difference or not. Well I compared my ipod to my onboard alc889(both are relativly high end encoders the alc889 being one of the if not the best onboard audio chip) to my asus xonar d2x.

I have a 25year old but still pretty good speaker system and my new sennheiser hd650. And I can tell you the difference was there and ussually pretty large. In parts where there isn't a lot going on there won't be a huge difference. You probably won't notice it. But when lot's of instruments play at once you get a very muddied and ugly sound(to the point where you can't even distinguish any of the instruments really) on both the ipod and alc889 whereas on my asus xonar there was far more depth, you could hear each layer of instruments clearly. On a song I had used a lot for quality analysis I suddenly heard a bass guitar lol that I had never remotly heard before. So in the end a decent sound card really makes a huge difference, but then it is tied to your audio system if you have that cheap 100USD 5.1 logitech surround or something similar forget about a sound card unless you're buying a decent pair of phones or new speakers. Also when playing sound, a sound card takes quite a load of the cpu, but seeing as that 950 will harldy ever bottleneck this isn't a reason to get a sound card.

And yeah coldsleep is right you can't fit some ram under a d14 but you can move up the fan a little bit or put the fan on the other side. Both will only make minimal performance differences, but I suppose every little bit counts.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:15:24 PM

coldsleep said:
What is your upgrade plan? There are no sockets that are viable to upgrade on right now.

A few months back, when it was uncertain whether or not AM3 motherboard would support Bulldozer, this made sense. Now that we know otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

i mean save the moeny to get other things in the future when the computer start to be slow...
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:22:35 PM

Agreed, that's the point I was trying to make on the RAM. You might see a couple of percent difference in really RAM-intensive programs, but day-to-day usage, you're unlikely to notice it. That being said, if you're spending $2k+, you should probably optimize your build in every possible way.

I haven't done a lot of research on the HDD Boost, but I'm going to take a look at reviews when I get a chance.

As far as the sound card goes, I'm certain it would make a difference if you're plugging into a high-end sound system...but let's face it, most people aren't. More people are going to be connecting their computer to a $30-50 set of speakers. I'd be interested in seeing how much load the sound card takes off a CPU, I wouldn't really expect the processor load to be very high.

I think the recommendation to buy without a sound card, and then only get one if the sound quality is bugging you is a more reasonable general recommendation. Of course, if you know the person that's building the computer is an audiophile, sure, get a sound card right off the bat.

Here's the D14's compatibility list: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_ge...
m
l
September 14, 2010 8:23:12 PM

I haven't seen any benchmarks comparing onboard sound to a discrete card solution most benchmarks compare sound cards to sound cards like this one

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-xonar-d2x-review/5

I can only assume the difference would be greater when comparing an onboard solution to a sound card.

Of course a sound card is ridiculous when you have 30-50USD speakers but I'd expect that with abuild like this you would go with some decent speakers or headphones.

The problem with your methodolgy of only buying a sound card when you need one is that you can't really call audio quality bad unless you've heard better. I had the same I didn't dislike my onboard sound because frankly my audio setup was still far better than most, but I figured let me just assume audiophiles aren't completely mad and sound cards make a difference and besides I could have gotten an rma if I didn't notice a difference.

My point is people hardly ever notice there quality isn't as good as it can be because it isn't really bad either(ipods with ipod earbuds are very very commonly used and are often used as a benchmark) compared to many audio systems, but it does blow compared to a better one. I'm far from an audiophile and even to me the addition of a sound card made a world of difference when many instruments where being played.

So in the end I just suggest sound cards because most people won't think of buying one otherwise and thus miss out quite a bit on audio quality.
m
l
September 14, 2010 8:57:31 PM

I guess I see it from the opposite viewpoint. If you buy a sound card, many people are going to rationalize the purchase afterwards, telling themselves it's so much better than the onboard, when in reality, they may not have noticed the difference.

I don't disagree that there is a difference, but if the primary use of the machine is for gaming (relatively few voices/instruments) rather than playing music (many instruments), the budget might be better spent elsewhere. Say, on a larger SSD or multiple monitors or something.

But you're right, at this budget, it should be a consideration. I probably have a kneejerk reaction to people including them so often in lower-budget machines, when the money could be used for more performance.
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:47:24 AM

Juanchioo said:
i mean save the moeny to get other things in the future when the computer start to be slow...

Next year both AMD and intel are changing their sockets. You wont be able to get a CPU upgrade. The upgrade paths that let you use the same mobo and upgrade the CPU every couple years isnt going to exist for a while. CPUs seem to be stuck at 3-4GHz and software still mostly doesnt make good use of multiple cores. In order to get faster they will be changing the architecture every couple years instead of adding cores and going up MHz.

Socket 775 lasted almost 4 years, 1366 lasted 2, 1156 only one. AMD has gone from AM2 to AM2+ to AM3 and now the AM3+ in fairly rapid escalation also. My bet is that trend will continue for a while because the nature of the processor has to change to gain speed.
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:53:36 AM

lol im waiting for bulldozer x4 and a question... will i be able with 4 cores to run games and at the same time have msn open 10-15 windows on internet normal programs(like antivirus etc) or its better to get an 6core?
m
l
September 15, 2010 1:02:21 AM

Depends on the game, the screen resolution, the OS, etc. Alot of us are doing such things on dual core (and even some on single core) systems.
m
l
September 15, 2010 1:07:09 AM

new games :p , 1080p, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit....
m
l
September 15, 2010 6:06:27 AM

Your HDD will be a major major bottleneck when multi tasking especially when scanning your pc.

CPUs ussually aren't the problem, even if it is you can select how much cpu power your antivirus uses(at least with my norton).

And about the sound card, purely for gaming it may just be on the brink of being worth it in a build like this, but I Think that almost everyone that comes here saying they want a gaming build will use that build for bassically everything including music.
If you're never going to even play a song you're completely right money should best be spent elswhere, but in my case at least I only listen to music on my pc(because of the great audio quality :p ) and I do it A LOT.
m
l
!