Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OCZ700SXS power supply

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2010 2:16:33 AM

Hello,

I was researching about my currently installed PSU, an OCZ700SXS (not a SXS2) to see if it would support another graphics card, because I wanted to go SLI.

Then I found several reviews of this PSU in NewEgg where lots of people (around 100) are saying that the PSU works fine and then one day out of the blue it starts to smell burnt and smoke and then dies.

Problem is, some of these people also report that when the PSU died it took their mobo with it.

My system is running fine so far, but then again it's less than a month old build. However, I fear my PSU could go the same route as one of those that failed and fried the mobo in the process.

My question is: should I replace my PSU with a more reliable unit and prevent potential damage to my system or should I keep running it and see? Is there any way to predict if it's going to fail and if so is there any way to ensure my mobo or anything else isn't going with it?

Thanks.

More about : ocz700sxs power supply

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2010 2:38:47 AM

Your dilemma is exactly the reason we do not recommend anything but a quality psu. The PSU has multiple failure modes, some are catastrophic, and its the only part in your PC that can quietly - or noisily - destroy other parts.

Normally these psus fail when heat or heavy loads are involved. As if a 700W labelled psu was actually a 500W psu that can only deliver 400W when heated. So if you are running OK now, and your system is fairly cool, and you don't add a second vid card, stay with what you have.

But certainly before adding a second vidcard replace it with a Corsair, Seasonic, an upper-end Antec, or one that has been specifically reviewed by a qualified reviewer.

Or ask here, telling us what your configuration is :) 
m
l
December 6, 2010 2:48:57 AM

Twoboxer said:
Your dilemma is exactly the reason we do not recommend anything but a quality psu. The PSU has multiple failure modes, some are catastrophic, and its the only part in your PC that can quietly - or noisily - destroy other parts.

Normally these psus fail when heat or heavy loads are involved. As if a 700W labelled psu was actually a 500W psu that can only deliver 400W when heated. So if you are running OK now, and your system is fairly cool, and you don't add a second vid card, stay with what you have.

But certainly before adding a second vidcard replace it with a Corsair, Seasonic, an upper-end Antec, or one that has been specifically reviewed by a qualified reviewer.

Or ask here, telling us what your configuration is :) 

My config: Intel Core i7 930, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo, 3 x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G memory, EVGA GTX 460 1GB, 1 x Seagate ST31000528AS Hard Drive.

Please notice that I tried to give some headroom for the PSU, as I needed less than 500W for this setup but went for 700W. I went with OCZ because I thought it was a quality PSU, but sadly that is not the case.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2010 2:59:51 AM

Some OCZ PSUs are good quality. What separates OCZ from, say, Corsair is that not ALL of their psu lines are quality. What separates OCZ from Antec is that Antec also has budget lines, but they normally are at least safe to use lol.

To prepare for 2x460, I'd use a 750W even though a 650W will work (prices don't change much between these two levels) like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

At this Newegg price point there's a great Antec and a great Seasonic. But Newegg, as usual, screws with the shipping costs. The Corsair is cheapest, now, including shipping.

For 1x460, this 520W Seasonic would be hard to beat:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

FYI, many great PSUs marketed by others (Corsair, Antec) are actually made by Seasonic :) 
December 6, 2010 3:04:31 AM

Best answer selected by alsoares.
m
l
December 6, 2010 3:04:51 AM

Thanks! I'm going with Corsair.
m
l
!