Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2010 3:39:04 AM

Hello,

I have an older PC but would like to put in the most powerful Graphics card it can handle.

I currently have a Radeon 7000. My PC is an HP Pavilion 7965 with an ASUS P4B-LA (Amazon)

Here is the link to the motherboard specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=e...

I guess I have an AGP slot and can use up to a 4X card. (I also have a PCI slot.) What other stats do I need to know before I buy? What card do you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

More about : graphics card upgrade

a c 179 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 3:45:03 AM

What do you plan to be using this system for? Your board is LGA 478 so its processor isnt going to be able to handle too much so there isnt much point in upgrading the system for ~$100 when for $400 you can get a significantly faster system. Its time to let your old P4 go.
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 4:11:58 AM

Agree, save your money and get a whole new system... :) 
Related resources
August 13, 2010 1:39:39 AM

hunter315 said:
What do you plan to be using this system for? Your board is LGA 478 so its processor isnt going to be able to handle too much so there isnt much point in upgrading the system for ~$100 when for $400 you can get a significantly faster system. Its time to let your old P4 go.

Do you REALLY think I can't let the PC go? Would you like my address so you can send me the money to pay for it?

I don't have money for a new PC! Not $330 or $200 or $100!

Now, do you have the brainpower to answer the question?
August 13, 2010 1:40:22 AM

wa1 said:
Agree, save your money and get a whole new system... :) 

I don't have money for a new PC! Not $330 or $200 or $100!

Now, do you have the brainpower to answer the question?
a c 179 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 2:05:46 AM

I have the brain power to answer many questions just not irrational ones, we gave you our advice, its not worth upgrading that machine. If you really want to spend money on a GPU upgrade when you say you dont have $100 for a new machine im unsure how much you think that an AGP GPU will cost, they are no longer made so they are rare and price has increased, evena lowly HD 3650 will cost you $60, here is a list of all the ones on newegg, pick one yourself that fits into your very confused budget
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
August 13, 2010 2:18:31 AM

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but $60 is less than $100 so it fits in my budget. Also, I cannot buy a PC for $60 can I?

BTW, that "Lowly" card you speak of is faster and has more RAM that the one I have. It just needs more power than my power supply has. you never mentioned power supply considerations. Big boo boo.

Turns out I found one on eBay that is new, meets my needs, is in my power supply range, and sells for $38.

Thanks for nothing. You are useless.

!