Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing graphics card upgrade ~$200 Budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2010 3:39:39 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE : Sometime around August 23 but might order it to get it in time. BUDGET RANGE: ~$200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mostly just staying a viable card for more then two years for gaming. Also I want a DX11 card *thats the latest type right??*

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 *thats all it says no exact card* I don't know how big my power supply is but if there is a way to check without opening my system tell me and I will.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i7 920 Processor (2.67gz) 8182Mb of ram *Other stuff: If you tell me how to check I will tell you*

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I will shop from any of the following: Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect.. but if price difernce is within a few $$ I would prefer Newegg. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None best bang for buck.. Although if I get forced to buy through Dell again *like I did with this computer and the reason I have to upgrade someone is going to get hurt*

OVERCLOCKING: I have never really messed with Overclocking.. So no SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366 X 768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As I have said above I want this card to last awhile. *If you need more part info tell me how to get it and I will get it to you guys*
:sol: 
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 3:48:16 AM

GTX 460 is the current ~$200 king, which normally will run you for about $200-$220. But there are two factors you need to consider: Power supply and monitor resolution.

Open your PC and read the side label on your power supply. You are looking for two things: The amount of watt power and the amps on the 12v rails.

Your monitor resolution is quite low, meaning you won't need a card like the GTX 460. You can always get something cheaper like an ATi HD5770 or HD5750 and still have similar performances to the GTX460 at 1366x768 resolution. If you plan on upgrading that monitor and use a 1080p resolution, then the GTX460 is for you.
August 6, 2010 3:58:41 AM

Is there ANY way to check my my PS without opening my computer?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 4:05:00 AM

If you're going to upgrade your graphics card, you'll eventually open the computer up anyway... I don't see what's the hassle.

To answer your question, not that I know of.
August 6, 2010 4:06:37 AM

Ok I went back and found my computer *yes its prebuilt and NO it was not my choice to get a prebuilt* and it has a "360 Watt power supply"
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 4:10:45 AM

Yes, you'll need a new power supply, even if it's not a generic PSU (which it probably is because it's pre-assembled). Even with an HD5770 of HD5750, that PSU will be no good. First thing to change will definitely be your power supply, which might consequently cut into your budget.

My recommendation would be this PSU coupled with an HD5750.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 6, 2010 4:12:27 AM

How hard is it to install a new power supply?
!