Sign in with
Your question

I need your help for my new build, please...

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2010 11:57:15 PM

Hi!
I need your precious help.
I'm starting a new build almost exclusively for a Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 use.
I'm going to use a Antec Three Hundred case, Corsair HX750 power supply and my actual HP LP2275w monitor. I don't game. I would like to have a configuration that would last for about 4 or 5 years.
After some research, in order to put me up to date with today's choices, I found myself in a big dilema:

Should I go for a i7 870/P7P55D-E PRO/8GB or i7 930/P6X58D-E/12GB ???

The price for each CPU/Motherboard configurations is almost the same. In the first configuration CPU will cost more and Motherboard will cost less and in the second configuration it's just the opposite. Of course the RAM price won't be the same (8GB vs. 12GB) but I am prepared for that.
I would very much appreciate your advise.
Best regards,
Francisco

More about : build

September 14, 2010 12:02:48 AM

If it was me I would go with the i7 870. You see diminishing returns going beyond 4GB for even the most intensive tasks so I definitely wouldn't get 12GB.
September 14, 2010 12:13:58 AM

CS5+lightroom like ram and cores. IMO an AMD x6 build would be hard to beat from a price/performance standpoint. Are you resuing that case/PSU? What's your budget?
Related resources
September 14, 2010 12:21:12 AM

Before loading up on RAM, read this article that looks at the performance increase gained from going up to 8GB from 4GB, which includes Photoshop performance in its tests. It doesn' t quite convince me not to get 8GB, but it does convince me that 12 wouldn't be worthwhile.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-8gb64-bit-advant...
September 15, 2010 9:50:11 AM

thanks for the tips.
Photoshop is indeed a RAM eater but maybe i need to be more realistic.

so it seems i should go 1156.

and about the power supply i intend to buy, a Corsair HX750, does any of you have one? is it quiet? i would like a powerfull one, thinking about the future, but a low noise one as well.

thanks
September 17, 2010 1:50:01 AM

sorry for keeping asking for help but, about the GPU, for those Photoshop/Lightroom needs, should i go for a generic one like HD5770 or something more specific like FirePro?
!