8400gs vs 8800gt

biggestnoobever

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I am downgrading from a bfg 8800gt with a evga 8400gs. was wondering if i can reuse the same wires that is already all set up in my comp from the 8800gt and just plug in the 8400gs or do i have to replace the wires as well?

The reason why I am replacing the 8800gt is because i keep getting the blue screen: nv4_disp. I can't even load the windows screen without getting the BSOD. I tried many solutions all have failed. The closest solution i got was uninstalling the drivers and getting the "updated" drivers. Without the nvidia drivers i was able to load my windows and to the desktop but after i installed the new drivers my screen was messed up after the windows loading screen. It didn't BSOD me instead my screen was getting the pixel of death. Could not see my desktop at all. Also my gpu was at lik 80 degrees before I initially got the BSOD. So my guess is that it fried and replacing with something cheap. If you guys know how to fix my 8800gt and BSOD that would be great. But back to my first question..do i have to replace the wires with the graphics card or can i use the same wires? I have a shuttle PC so its a nightmare rewiring. ty in advance and sry for major long post.

The 8400GS is powered by the motherboard alone. There are no wires involved.
It does sound like the 8800GT is dying/dead unfortunately. FYI the 8400GS is not a gaming card at all(maybe ok for games over 3 years old.) If you try to use it for recent or current games you will be very disappointed.

Is this the same concept as repairing an Xbox 360? There's two different ways of doing that and from what I remember is 180*for 6-8 hours and the other way is coating certain parts of your card with a protective coating and baking it on a much higher setting for around and hour or so.

To get the actual details you can go a google search, that is this is the same concept...

If you bought this card new and registered it in a timely manner, BFG will replace this card. I would verify its not under warranty first. If its not, then bake the heck out of it... google first as already mentioned to get recommended temps and baking time...

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

I would definitely try the baking method. I almost wanted to test it for myself on an old Radeon 9800 se that was artifacting like crazy but I was too paranoid that the baking process would release toxic fumes from the card and that residual toxic particles would be left in the oven and I didn't want to poison my family when using the oven to bake food! :pt1cable:

BUT anyways here's a link where a person was successful reviving a GTX 280

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/529271-bake-your-graphics-card-oven-fix.html

LOOOOL
To sum up;
"I didn't do it for fear of poisoning myself and my family but you should definitely go get right on that."