Sign in with
Your question

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z and Zalman CNPS10x Performa?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 3, 2011 6:28:54 AM

Hello,

I am currently planning which components to build my next rig from, but I'm worried if the Zalman CNPS10x performa CPU cooler will fit on the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z without blocking the RAM and such? Has anyone messed around with this? Any input is appreciated =)

Drezn
August 3, 2011 7:38:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly the case I'm going to be building in doesn't support a cooler taller than 155mm's. That's why I've got my heart set on the Zalman, since it's one of the best performing coolers under 155mm's...

The Megahalem looks great though =)
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2011 10:45:36 PM

Thanks for your replies!

I've been doing a bit more researching, and it turns out the the only thing that is really limiting me in terms of space is the RAM clearance, just as you suggested. The problem is solved by not getting memory modules with those silly heatspreaders on, and just going for regular quality modules. In a mATX case, memory modules sticking out 5,6cm into the middle of the case in front of the CPU isn't going to do much good for the airflow anyway ;) 

I've settled on the parts mentioned above, and the Fractal Design Arc Mini mATX case, which seems to be well enough ventilated for a budget-ish gaming rig in a small case.

Thanks again for helping out =)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2011 10:51:37 PM

Drezn said:
Thanks for your replies!

I've been doing a bit more researching, and it turns out the the only thing that is really limiting me in terms of space is the RAM clearance, just as you suggested. The problem is solved by not getting memory modules with those silly heatspreaders on, and just going for regular quality modules. In a mATX case, memory modules sticking out 5,6cm into the middle of the case in front of the CPU isn't going to do much good for the airflow anyway ;) 

I've settled on the parts mentioned above, and the Fractal Design Arc Mini mATX case, which seems to be well enough ventilated for a budget-ish gaming rig in a small case.

Thanks again for helping out =)

You'll only have problems with high heat spreaders. Normal ones that do not increase ram height by any meaningful margin will not cause any problems.
m
l
August 3, 2011 11:02:00 PM

I know. The ones i'll be getting will probably be Corsair XMS3, which do have heatspreaders, but nothing like the funky ones the Devastator series come with ;) 

The XMS3 are 2,5cm in height if i remember correctly, and that's safely within the margins I'll be needing to steer clear of making contact with the CPU-cooler.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 6:03:42 AM

I have CNPS10x Extreme and have no problem with HyperX 1333. They are 30 mm high.
m
l
August 4, 2011 7:24:04 AM

Nice, thanks for the info!
m
l
!