a good digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 9:36:22 PM

I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start some where.
I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought would be a
good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be taking mostly
inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to have the best of
flash not enough to fill a room.

More about : good digital camera

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:59:01 PM

After a lot of shopping, I bought a Panasonic Z3 for $390. It has a fold-up
flash with several options and a 12x optical zoom with a Leica lens. It is
lightweight and small. Really a nice camera for the money.

Bob M

"MSug2" <msug2@aol.com> wrote in message
> I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start some
where.
> I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought would
be a
> good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be taking
mostly
> inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to have the best of
> flash not enough to fill a room.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:59:02 PM

If you're serious about that inside work and need to fill a room, you'll
need external flash so a camera with flash bracket makes more sense. Spring
the extra bucks for a canon G6 or similar, particularly if you can fill the
bill with a cheaper model..
Dave Cohen

"Robert Morrisette" <writer77@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> After a lot of shopping, I bought a Panasonic Z3 for $390. It has a
> fold-up
> flash with several options and a 12x optical zoom with a Leica lens. It is
> lightweight and small. Really a nice camera for the money.
>
> Bob M
>
> "MSug2" <msug2@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start some
> where.
>> I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought would
> be a
>> good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be taking
> mostly
>> inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to have the best
>> of
>> flash not enough to fill a room.

Related resources
January 4, 2005 1:57:58 AM

"MSug2" <msug2@aol.com> wrote in message
> I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start some
where.
> I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought would
be a
> good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be taking
mostly
> inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to have the best of
> flash not enough to fill a room.

Very few (ie, none) of the cameras I've ever owned have been able to
properly "Fill a room" with their built in flash alone. Consider getting a
camera with a hotshoe and an external flash; I recently invested in a
Promaster 5750 for my Olympus C-5060 (which has one of the brighter built-in
flashes) and I'm very pleased with the results - I can now literally light
up a room along with my subject. Much more natural-looking results.

Unfortunately, you're looking at a higher-end camera to include a hotshoe,
plus U.S.$160 or more for the flash. My setup would be available to you for
about U.S.$600, and it's probably one of the cheaper ones. I guess you could
try for used....

A cheaper but not as easy alternative would be a decent camera with a couple
of strategically placed slave flash units. There's some slaves available
(ie. Vivitar DF120, Sunpac DS-20) that are specifically for digital, and a
few can be programmed to ignore the preflash that often fools normal slave
flashes.

Good Luck!
ECM
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:10:43 AM

You can get various 3MP cameras on ebay for 100 -150 dollars.
You can get a Kodak 4330 for $100. That flash has a kick ..
it will not fill the room however.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:48:29 PM

On Monday 03 January 2005 10:36, MSug2 wrote:

> I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start
> some where.
> I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought
> would be a
> good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be taking
> mostly inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to have
> the best of flash not enough to fill a room.

There's no camera, digital or film, I know of, with a built-in flash
that can "...fill a room." You'll need to buy a external flash. And
because of that need -- external flash -- your camera choices are very
limited. You'll need a camera that either has a PC socket or a hot
shoe, so you can sync the flash to the camera.

You didn't say what type of pictures you want to generally shoot, so I'm
going to assume you need a higher end point-n-shoot, something for
snapshots, and not a DSLR, but something that can also produce a good
8x10 print for those more serious photo-moments.

Here are my recommendations:

Olympus C-4040 or C-4000 -- no hot shoe, but Olympus flash sync (5-pin
cable);

Olympus C-5050 or C-5060 -- hot shoe, no PC connector

The first two are available only used and go for under $200 or so on
eBay. The later two can be had on eBay for around $400, sometimes
less, as well as new in "clearance" sales, but for more than $400. B&H
Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) lists a new 5060 for $490.

As to a flash, Olympus makes a several dedicated ones, the FL-20, FL-40
and FL-50, I believe, that are compatible with all the above cameras.
However, they ain't cheap -- $100 to $200. I suggest you do what I
did: get a used Vivitar 285 off eBay for about $35 - $40. Plenty of
power for a digital camera. I coupled it to my C-3030 using an
inexpensive (about $15) flash bracket

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

and the dedicated Olympus flash cable (New. eBay. $15. I got 2 just in
case.).

Good Luck in your search...

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

MSug2 wrote:

> I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start some where.
> I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought would be a
> good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be taking mostly
> inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to have the best of
> flash not enough to fill a room.

That'll be tough in that price range, since you need something with a
hot shoe and an external flash.

My suggestion:

Konica-Minolta Dimage Z2 at $307 (buydig.com), and the 3600HS flash for
$155 from bhpohto,com (search for "MI3600HS").

You're at $462 plus shipping.
January 5, 2005 10:57:51 AM

Stefan Patric wrote:
> On Monday 03 January 2005 10:36, MSug2 wrote:
>
> > I know this is a pretty general question, but just looking to start
> > some where.
> > I have about $400.00 to spend and I was wondering what you thought
> > would be a
> > good camera for that amount with an adequate flash. I will be
taking
> > mostly inside shots. The digital cameras I have seen seem not to
have
> > the best of flash not enough to fill a room.
>
> There's no camera, digital or film, I know of, with a built-in flash
> that can "...fill a room." You'll need to buy a external flash. And
> because of that need -- external flash -- your camera choices are
very
> limited. You'll need a camera that either has a PC socket or a hot
> shoe, so you can sync the flash to the camera.
>
> You didn't say what type of pictures you want to generally shoot, so
I'm
> going to assume you need a higher end point-n-shoot, something for
> snapshots, and not a DSLR, but something that can also produce a good
> 8x10 print for those more serious photo-moments.
>
> Here are my recommendations:
>
> Olympus C-4040 or C-4000 -- no hot shoe, but Olympus flash sync
(5-pin
> cable);
>
> Olympus C-5050 or C-5060 -- hot shoe, no PC connector
>
> The first two are available only used and go for under $200 or so on
> eBay. The later two can be had on eBay for around $400, sometimes
> less, as well as new in "clearance" sales, but for more than $400.
B&H
> Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) lists a new 5060 for $490.
>
> As to a flash, Olympus makes a several dedicated ones, the FL-20,
FL-40
> and FL-50, I believe, that are compatible with all the above cameras.

> However, they ain't cheap -- $100 to $200. I suggest you do what I
> did: get a used Vivitar 285 off eBay for about $35 - $40. Plenty of
> power for a digital camera. I coupled it to my C-3030 using an
> inexpensive (about $15) flash bracket

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

> and the dedicated Olympus flash cable (New. eBay. $15. I got 2 just
in
> case.).
>
> Good Luck in your search...
>
> --
> Stefan Patric
> NoLife Polymath Group
> tootek2@yahoo.com

The C-5060 is an excellent camera with a nice wide end I find really
useful indoors - you can get right up close to your subjects, and is
very useful when the space is cramped - I can take a pic of 3 kids from
4 feet away. It NEEDS a TTL flash, though, to get good indoor results.
The C-5050 doesn't have as wide a lens (35mm? vs 27mm) but it's much
brighter - F/1.8 at the low end (vs. F/2.8); it's gaining a bit of cult
status, hence the relatively high price for a 3 year old camera.

My other advice to you is to avoid any Olympus refurbs on Ebay -
there's a few scammers eg. "OlympusUSA" etc, who're selling substandard
stuff; as well, the real Olympus America refurbs are apparently in
poorer condition than described, and have been refurbed by stuffing
them into a new box.... Caveat emptor. Check at adorama.com as well as
bhphotovideo.com for good prices. They occasionally have these cameras
used, too - you generally can trust their ratings of the equipment
condition.

Good Luck!
ECM
!