BSOD, deciding if its Motherboard or CPU related

KEverett

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I have recently upgraded my custom computer with a 1090T AMD CPU, an Asus M4A87TD EVO motherboard, 8 gigs of DDR3 corsair memory, and a new terabyte hard drive.

For the past month I have been plagued by fairly consistent BSODs. I have been getting blue screens with driver irql not less or equal and page fault in non page area messages leading me to believe it was a driver or memory issue.

I ran driver verifier and updated all old drivers and the blue screens continued.

I ran memtest86+ and the Windows memory diagnostic tool with several passes on my four memory sticks together and then each by themselves in different slots on the mobo. All of them passed without any errors in both programs. The blue screens were still there.

Reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7 professional several times on two separate hard drives. Blue screens still there.

Ran prime 95 to see if it was my cpu,the program ran fine on the less memory intensive mode, but it blue screened with a page fault error in blended mode so I decided to run memtest again for several passes.

While running memtest again I discovered it would identify my 1333 ddr3 memory as ddr400 with 200 Mhz when i would place any stick in channel B on my motherboard. Any stick of ram would be misidentified while each would display correctly in the channel A dimms. Memtest would still not find any errors for the memory sticks in channel B after several passes.

I was wondering if this is just an error in Memtest or possibly a sign of a bad memory controller in the CPU or a motherboard with bad dimm slots and possible cause of my blue screens?

I am just trying to further narrow down what I need to RMA. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

KEverett

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Yeah, it works fine with having just 4 gigs in the two slots that correctly identify the memory. Have been running prime 95 for several hours in blended mode with no problems while it would fail in less than an hour when I would have the full 8 gigs of memory in.

KEverett

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Also its not channel A that is correctly identifying the memory its the first two slots in my motherboard. Its A1 and A2 that have the correct info while B1 and B2 are misidentifying it. My motherboard has channel A as A1 and B1, while channel B is A2 and B2.

KEverett

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I took some photos to show what happens in memtest. First one is when the memory stick is in one of the last slots and it says that it is ddr400

p3.jpg

The second is when I use the first two slots on my motherboard and the memory is correctly identified.

photo2.jpg

Thinking about sending the mobo and cpu back as the memory still checks out.

KEverett

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
This is my only desktop, cant check my ram anywhere else. I have been checking it in the correctly functioning slots. Memtest doesn't find any errors after many passes and prime 95 runs flawlessly until I turn it off several hours later for each stick of ram. I already have the RMA started for my motherboard. Getting an RMA for the cpu just to be safe as I can't be sure if its just bad motherboard slots or the memory controller in the cpu is bad.