Best custom-build vendor

sjpeer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello,
I've built my own PC several times but don't have the time to do so this time around. What are the best vendors that allow you to customize your own PC? How much more will I be paying on average vs. building it myself?

I've looked at gcworkshop.com and www.googlebb.magicmicro.com and like their ability to customize.

I'm hesitant to buy pre-configured from newegg. Should I be?

^ Frankly I would take some time and build my own PC...
Only with some discounts or on-sale, the pre-built can match the custom builds, else it would easily command ~$100 or more and also you all the parts might not be of the best quality or will have complete warranty...

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
My friend, who is physically handicapped, needed to have a computer built a couple of years ago while I was out of the country. He did about two weeks of research before getting a machine built at Digital Storm. He wanted specific parts ie; evga mobo, corsair PSU and so on. Had it built and it came with a 3 year warranty. Still using it today and swears by their workmanship and quality.

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Doesn't have "physically challenged" plates on his wife's car. Believe they are called handicapped plates and thereby does not search for an open "physically challenged" parking space.

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Questions for gkay, who set you up or appointed you as the one most qualified to correct anyone on an open forum? If this is to be an open public forum, isn't anyone using this forum provided their right to their own views and opinions? If in fact you (gkay) feel that you are highly qualified to correct any and every one as needed, then what gives you the right to do so? Is there an undisclosed agreement with Tom's Hardware that selects certain individuals as the person most qualified and capable for providing unsolicited lessons of any kind? My understanding of this forum is to provide advice, guidance and ideas about computers. Hardware and software related issues. gkay, it really makes no difference to me what you think is correct when mentioned that I have a friend that is physically handicapped, that wasn't the intent of the original thread. If you (gkay) and others on this forum can not restrain yourselves from unrelated "lessons" on this forum, I feel that Tom's Hardware needs to take a closer look at what is actually "correct" for an open public forum.

^ Lolz...
You know what is my English teacher's explanation for the word "Handicapped" ?
Here it is - In the olden days, people with disabilities used to stand in the streets with their cap in the hand begging for food or money, so the word "Hand-i-cap"...
I feel bad when anyone is being called that so I took the liberty of correcting you, but even after hearing the above explanation, you are fine with calling your friend that way, then its your call...
Better language has its place in all forums be it hardware or any other and my intent was just to say that the word sounded impolite,...

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
WTF is with the lolz? Is this humorous or entertaining for you? My friend sees himself as handicapped because his condition is limiting and he explains that a handicap, is in fact only a limiter as to what one can do. He vehemently opposes labels, doesn't want to be called "disabled", (technically, he is disabled) and that he doesn't want anyone's sympathy or aid. He works at a full time position, all though he is in a wheel chair most of the day. The point here is, you don't know anything about the situation, yet you want to interject your assumption(s). My friend now wants to know, from you, what happened to courtesy and respect? Afford him the courtesy of calling his condition as he sees fit, acknowledge the fact that he is saddled with the condition and give him the respect he deserves for what he can do. Is there a better language than English for this forum?