What differences will happen if I CrossFire my ATi 4670 with 4200

G

Hi,

Just got a new motherboard, its a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. The important thing about it is the on board graphics is an ATi 4200, and I have a Sapphire 4670 card.

The MB manual says I can do CrossfireX. I have never done anything Crossfire based and never really looked into graphics card really so I just wondered what this will actually do in terms of performance?

Thanks

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Actually, there is a setting called hybrid crossfire that AMD developed in their am2/am2+ boards that was made for just that. (I'm not sure if am3 boards have it or not)

Now, whether you will actually see any performance increase by enabling that setting is debatable. If you don't see any performance increase, just disable the function and run off your 4670.

G

Ok... Well I could be wrong but to quote the mother board manual

"Combining the onboard GPU with a discrete graphics card, ATI Hybrid CrossFireX can provide significantly advanced display performance for AMD platform."

Can you confirm I cannot crossfire then?

Just wondered what the performance difference would be.

you can't enable it with the 4670, its meant for the lower end cards like the 3450 (i don't think it ever worked with the 4xxx series though, remember the HD 4200 is really a HD3xxx series card, RV6xx)

G

Ok, I just check my MB manual and it does say Hybrid CrossfireX. The 4670 box says ATI CrossfireX technology on it, no Hybrid. So is it not possible as you say, even though the graphics card box mentions it.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=205

Also it mentions it on the 3rd feature down.

raiyus13

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
You cannot enable cross-fire between two different series of cards as mindless728 said, although I don't know anything about Hybrid CrossfireX.

So, as bertimus said try switching that option on and see if anything noticeable. But according to me, I don't think that will help you much.