Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium D vs Pentium Dual Core?

Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2010 4:41:34 PM

I was looking at a game to buy for my laptop, specifically DiRT 2. My graphics card isn't a problem, it is above the min requirements but below the recommended. However, the game states a 3.0GHz Pentium D or better is needed to run the game. I know the Pentium D runs slower than the clock speeds suggest, but I have a Pentium Dual-Core t4400 @ 2.2GHz, which is still a budget processor. What is the true comparison between them, which one is faster and by how much? Help is appreciated, thanks!
a c 159 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2010 4:53:41 PM

The t4400 is one of the newer cpus based on core2 duo; these are faster than any of the pentium D mobiles and should run your game fine. Be sure to get a laptop cooler which sits under the laptop for better cooling if you spend alot of time gaming. They start at around $15 at newegg.
m
l
December 6, 2010 5:06:24 PM

If they are faster than the Pentium D mobiles can I assume they are also faster than the desktop variants? Also, do you know how much, is it a noticeable difference or a slight one?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 83 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2010 7:29:14 PM

Core2, and the Pentium Dual cores based off Core2, absolutely crushed the Pentium D in performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2045/14

Old review, but you can see a 1.86Ghz Core2 beats a 3.6Ghz Pentium D. Your Pentium Duel core is more than enough.
December 6, 2010 10:44:38 PM

Best answer selected by drapacioli.
m
l
December 6, 2010 10:45:30 PM

Thanks a lot, both of you.
m
l
!