Sign in with
Your question

SilverStone RV02B-W or Cooler Master HAF X RC-942

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2010 5:04:27 PM

What would you take.. between these 2 .... SilverStone RV02B-W or Cooler Master HAF X RC-942???
Thank you!
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 6, 2010 6:51:37 PM

I had this doubt and I ended up with the Raven.. Awesome case.. However, if you have more than one video card and/or three or more hard drives, opt for the HAF-X.. Also, after playing with both the cases, although I ended up with the RV02, I felt that the HAF-X is more easy to build into..
December 6, 2010 6:54:54 PM

I have a the Raven RV02 from Silverstone and I'm just utterly blown away by it. I will never be able to buy a conventional PC case again - this is just SO much better. My CPU has a tower cooler and is sucking air directly form one of the 120mm intake fans and pushing it back out directy on the outtake fan.
My vid. card has a closed case and an intake fan at the back end, again, sucking cold air right from the bottom fan and blowing it out on top. The PSU has a competely separate air circulation system.
This way none of the components heat each other - the temparatures are great, my CPU never reaches 45 degrees C, even when OC'ed from 2,5 to 3,1 GHz.

I'm sure the HAF is a good case as well, but I really can't immagine anything topping my experience with the Raven 2.
Related resources
December 6, 2010 8:00:54 PM

Thanx

Raven has 3x180 fans at the bottom and only 1 (one) fan 120 on the top,which means warm air stais in a case,or???
December 7, 2010 6:55:00 AM

Milos-stancene said:
Thanx

Raven has 3x180 fans at the bottom and only 1 (one) fan 120 on the top,which means warm air stais in a case,or???

Oh, heh yes - i menat the 180m fans at the bottom. I didn't remember the diametre correctly. So you are correct - there are 3 180mm fans at the bottom, sucking cold air in and one 120mm fan at the top (right abouve the CPU fan), sucking the hot air out.
December 7, 2010 6:57:16 AM

tulx said:
Oh, heh yes - i menat the 180m fans at the bottom. I didn't remember the diametre correctly. So you are correct - there are 3 180mm fans at the bottom, sucking cold air in and one 120mm fan at the top (right abouve the CPU fan), sucking the hot air out.

one 120mm fan at the top is not enough to blow that air out .....
December 7, 2010 7:03:01 AM

Milos-stancene said:

It definitely is, mate. The rest of the top case ir not fully closed, it is made if grills - the heat rises naturally and is additionaly blown upwards by the bottom fans.
Actually it's better if you do not listen to me (just some guy from the internet) but go to the Silverstone website http://www.silverstonetek.com/ and read a more detailed and ACCURATE desription of the chassis. They even have heat images showing the air flow and whatnot...
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 7:58:08 AM

More intake means positive pressure which means more air and dust blown into the system and less exhausted... I'm not sure why SS RV02 chose this config but generally its better to have just a little bit of negative pressure so that everything in the case is exhausted... I have seen good reviews on RV02 performance but the HAF really gives you better airflow management with bigger fans...

But hey its a personal choice and like Emperus said it could depends on the quantity of components going inside...
December 7, 2010 8:34:51 AM

HAF-X is the winner...
thank you all
December 7, 2010 8:57:53 AM

Fair enough. I haven't got a single speck of dust im my Raven 2, though. All its intake fans have washable dust filters.
December 7, 2010 9:13:24 AM

Tulx,RAV2 is an excellent choice,but in my case I have Quad OC to 3,8Ghz,plaining to ad another GTX in SLI .. so I need a good cool case.....

p.s.
I am concern about that single top fan..... !!!!!

p.s. 2
heat images... I cant find
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 9:18:03 AM

The pic tulx is referring to is HERE

December 7, 2010 9:18:22 AM

Here's the link to one of the vids ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=douRh490E3I ) - there's a second part and some other vids as well. It features the Raven 1, but it's basically the same cooling system.
I remember lookingat the HAF as a potentioal case as well, but chose the Raven because of its extraordinary component placement.
December 7, 2010 9:20:28 AM

You are the MAN,thanx.
What is in your "BOX" mate???
December 7, 2010 9:30:12 AM

Ah, I have a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, Phenom 1 9850 OC from 2,5 to 3,1 GHz and a Radeon HD 5870. I'm about to upgrade the Mobo, CPU and RAM, But I'm keepeing the CPU cooler, which is a Alpenföhn Nordwand. There are some HDDs and a DVD drive, but those don't affect the cooling much.
December 7, 2010 9:40:03 AM

tulx said:
Ah, I have a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, Phenom 1 9850 OC from 2,5 to 3,1 GHz and a Radeon HD 5870. I'm about to upgrade the Mobo, CPU and RAM, But I'm keepeing the CPU cooler, which is a Alpenföhn Nordwand. There are some HDDs and a DVD drive, but those don't affect the cooling much.

CPU and GPU temp,idle and load!
December 7, 2010 9:41:32 AM

Heh, OK - will post them when I get home from work in the evening.
Menwhile you can see some temperature examples in the various reviews of the Raven 2 across the internet.
December 7, 2010 9:59:39 AM

Milos-stancene said:

I got to say that i feel there are quite a bit of myths and misconceptions about airflow; for one that more fans are better and that negative is some how better then positive. Believe me i was all for negative a few months ago but after some serious research i found that positive not only improved system performance but also cleanliness and thus, component longevity. (when filters are used on every intake fan like all of Silverstone's products)

now, i refuse to buy any case that is not positive airflow or that will not offer the ability to create positive airflow (properly with a lot of filters), and there are few companies out there who use positive airflow builds because many would rather capitalizes on popular misconception and lack of knowledge/research available.

I admit, the HAF is much better looking, but i would go with the any of the Silverstone products because it means lower temps and a cleaner pc.

some proof? well my favorite to show is this link:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_positive.php?area...

its simple to understand and has pretty good flash animation rather then just pure text.
December 7, 2010 10:11:15 AM

belltollsforthee said:
I got to say that i feel there are quite a bit of myths and misconceptions about airflow; for one that more fans are better and that negative is some how better then positive. Believe me i was all for negative a months ago but after some serious research i found that positive not only improved system performance but also cleanliness and thus, component longevity.

now, i refuse to buy any case that is not positive airflow or that will not offer the ability to create positive airflow, and there are few companies out there who use positive airflow builds because they capitalizes on popular misconception and lack of knowledge/research available.

I admit, the HAF is much better looking, but i would go with the any of the Silverstone products because it means lower temps and a cleaner pc.

some proof? well my favorite to show is this link:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_positive.php?area...

its simple to understand and has pretty good flash animation rather then just pure text.

The flash animations explain it much better than I could ever have. As said - my Raven 2 with its 3 180mm fans at the bottom is medically clean on the inside, despite the fact that I have a cat and a long-haired girlfriend :D 
December 7, 2010 10:13:59 AM

PS - I also prefer the understated "stealth" look of the Raven, actually. The HAF looks more hardcore and agressive, no doubt, but I thought the Raven would be better incase I suddenly grow up and stop liking too flashy things. (Mhm - I'm saying that while being 23)
December 7, 2010 10:15:04 AM

PPS - why am I unable to edit my own messages and have to multi-post all the time?
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 10:42:27 AM

Eye opener... really got me thinking... research time now...

EDIT FOR TULX - click quick edit button (second one) to edit messages...
December 7, 2010 11:10:06 AM

abully said:
Eye opener... really got me thinking... research time now...

EDIT FOR TULX - click quick edit button (second one) to edit messages...

Me too....
i dont know what to say really... RAV2 is better than HAFx as a better cooling case?
December 7, 2010 11:54:52 AM

Milos-stancene said:
Me too....
i dont know what to say really... RAV2 is better than HAFx as a better cooling case?

Well, please allow me to save you some time and sleep. What is best for a cool case is not airflow CFMs but airflow direction and pressure. You want to have a positive pressure system ONLY when each intake fan has an adequate filter. you also do want to have positive pressure to help keep dust out. The airflow circulates air and is what keeps air moving throughout your case without any dead zones that can be created by negative pressure or even too many fans that just work against each other. When buying fans not only should they be well placed like in all of the Silverstone cases but they should have high static pressure that is what moves the air out of the case. Also what happens with CFM focused cases that often it just builds up noise and uses a lot of electricity without getting the job done. here is another silverstone link, explained much better.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_airflow.php?area=

and this one is on mesh designs
http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_chessis.php?area=

and as im sure you guys learned in grade school, heat rises
http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh08_0266.php?area=

there are so many factors that take into account, and every case is different, but there are general rules to follow: positive, high pressure, good flow and lots of filters.
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2010 12:05:40 PM

I have built so many rigs on not just HAF's but Antec's, NZXT's, Thermaltake's, Brandless boxes with negative pressure and never once i faced cooling or DUST related problems... could be that everything here is air conditioned but nevertheless i have never once cleaned my HAF X since i bought it months back and its spanking clean inside with just enough negative pressure... and the case before; TT Armor just hosed & vacuumed it twice or thrice in three years...

But my initial research does say that ventilated enclosed compartments are kept dust free with positive pressure since it prevents non conditioned outside air from coming in and pushes out air within the case through every crevice... and it makes sense too...

i'm gonna change the fan orientation in my upcoming new build and see if this really works...
December 7, 2010 12:28:28 PM

abully said:

i'm gonna change the fan orientation in my upcoming new build and see if this really works...

Kool! and good luck with that, but remember that there are hundreds of variables affecting cooling, its a real science and should take a couple tries at the airflow direction.
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 8, 2010 12:25:17 AM

Let us sum up -

1. Cooling is excellent on both the cases.. The RV02 is a better CPU cooler and the HAF-X is a multiple GPU cooler..

2. No need to worry about dust with either of the cases as both have dust filters with every intake fan..

3. Cable management is again similar on both cases.. Though I do feel that the PSU installation procedure with the RV02 is a pain somewhat.. It is necessary however considering its design concept so i'll bear with it..

4. For the sake of it, let us not talk about looks.. To each his own.. IMO, the whole HAF series were the undisputed kings of the ugliest looking cases (facing competition on that aspect from the Antec DF series now)..
December 8, 2010 12:51:57 AM

Emperus said:
Let us sum up -

1. Cooling is excellent on both the cases.. The RV02 is a better CPU cooler and the HAF-X is a multiple GPU cooler..

2. No need to worry about dust with either of the cases as both have dust filters with every intake fan..

3. Cable management is again similar on both cases.. Though I do feel that the PSU installation procedure with the RV02 is a pain somewhat.. It is necessary however considering its design concept so i'll bear with it..

4. For the sake of it, let us not talk about looks.. To each his own.. IMO, the whole HAF series were the undisputed kings of the ugliest looking cases (facing competition on that aspect from the Antec DF series now)..

i dont understand why you think the HAF is a better graphics cooler please explain.

i would have to say that RV02 is a better cooler all around, but then again that depends on the design of the Graphics and it would most likely still be a better multi or single GPU cooler. Something to note, that due to the design, graphics card weight is held by the pci slots and not the motherboard; something to consider.

Personally i would go with the RV02, save money, but i dont think its as good looking as HAF; i care more about performance then looks. Positive airflow is best for cooling and the RV02 is perfect for that with better themeral dynamics. Thermal dynamics; RV02 just makes sense. But me personally...i would either go with a PS05B with 4 Noctua Fans OR go all the way with http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-FT02S-W-Aluminum-Uni-...
i like silver :) 
December 8, 2010 4:47:40 AM

Emperus said:
installation procedure with the RV02 is a pain somewhat.

back to the RV02, i agree that it would be a slight hassle but again in terms of airflow, hands down RV02 takes better care of your investment. The problems with the RV02 is just the hard drive bays are limited (and require the removal of face plates), the 5.25in drives can turn the case ugly and get in the way of a sli or cfx setup as the cables might stick out and touch the cards and if you have thick cables from the IO shield plate there might be some trouble with that. But once all is said and done, as you will read many reviews, this does not bother anyone enough to rate it down or exchange it. Great case but not perfect. Like i said earlier, i wouldn't go with it since i dont like the look and but rather the fortress.

@ Milos-stancene
Dude go with any Positive airflow system the HAF im sure can be made positive too; just not as good cooling as RV02 but really... just go which ever you like best and fits your needs since they can be both made positive. Overclock? i recommend the RV02, but against it if more then 3 hdds or if you plan on a E-ATX mobo or longer then 12.2 inch Graphics card if the HAF can handle that either.

does the HAF come with all its fans slots outfitted? thats also something to consider
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 8, 2010 8:36:45 AM

@belltollsforthee : I said the HAF-X is a better multiple video card cooler.. For a single video card scenario, either will work fine.. Don't get me wrong, i've worked with both the cases.. Also, I own the RV02 (got sold on its looks over my very favourite, the CM Storm Sniper).. All the merits and demerits that I listed were out of my own experience.. Results/experience may vary with other individuals..
December 8, 2010 9:28:07 AM

:) 
nope i already got that, what i am still wondering is why; why do you think the HAF is a better setup for multi-GPUs. Cuz of the 200mm(i believe) fan? does the air flow ever counteract with the video card's own fan because of the way the duct is shaped? i guess that might also depend on the video card's own setup

I would argue that RV02 is a better case for multi or single GPUs because though it has a 20mm shorter fan, its used a bit smarter. Now if you see cooler temps in the HAF with similar hardware in these two different cases then i would have to agree that the HAF is the better choice
!