Sign in with
Your question

Nephew broke platters can I recover?

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2012 12:52:13 PM

I taught my nephew (6yr old) how to take apart a hdd. Well he decided to take apart my hdd with all my family photos. He put several dents, pings, and even bent one platter in half. Is there a company that can recover the data? Please help.
December 24, 2012 1:13:27 PM

First of all you never take a Hdd apart, it has been made in a clean room environment.
Even a slight bit of dust can render the drive completely unworkable.
What were you thinking, giving it to a six year old.
I am afraid you have learned a valuable lesson of the lack of your own insight.
Its is likely the drive cannot even be recovered by any company who offers a service since
the platters are completely trashed.
m
l
December 24, 2012 1:23:58 PM

Thats like teaching a child how to defeat the child proofing on a lighter then complaining when your house is burnt down. However it is impressive that a 6yr old could break into a HDD. You are pretty much screwed, just start taking new family photos and keep the HDD that their on away from your nephew.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
December 24, 2012 2:12:59 PM

It's dead. Say a prayer and buy a new one. Hope you have a good backup....
m
l
December 24, 2012 2:49:47 PM

I have backups but not in the original megapixel sizes. The ones on the dead hdd were high enough quality for very large prints. My back ups are maybe 10x13 quality.

I didn't let him play with it. It was on a low shelf in my home office and I guess he taught it was okay to take apart. I'm not mad at him either. I do blame myself but life moves on.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
December 24, 2012 8:36:19 PM

I suspect it's a lost cause, but send the pieces to Kroll Ontrack and see what they say.

m
l
a c 80 G Storage
December 24, 2012 8:50:07 PM

Kids do the darndest things.
m
l
!