Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I enable Line in jack

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2010 5:48:47 PM

Hi, I have a sound blaster audigy 4 card. Mic input and headphones work. I want to connect my electric guitar to input line (blue) using an apater to convert 1/4" to 1/8". I don't hear sound from guitar. Please advise. Thanks

More about : enable line jack

December 6, 2010 6:57:59 PM

I know on a few devices, you need to enable "Monitering" via the Windows Control Panel for the line in jack to be automatically outputted to the default sound output device. Give that a try.
Score
December 12, 2010 11:10:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have searched everywhere in control panel sounds, speech, and audio devices. No where is there "moniter" option. Please advise.
Score
Related resources
December 13, 2010 11:19:36 AM

It might be called something else; the gist of it is that it plays back whatever is outputted to the main output.

In my case, the line in records normally, but the only way for me to hear the input on the jack is to enable the "moniter" option.

As a second test, try sending some audio data through the line input jack. While that is occuring, open the windows control panel and check to see if the bars next to the input device are lighting up (which would indicate the port is at least getting the input in the first place)

Right now, I'm just trying to check if the port is getting audio, or if its just a playback problem.
Score
December 13, 2010 11:46:13 AM

If by chance you are using windows 7 you need to right click on the windows sound speaker in the bottom right.
Go to recording devices, as line in is a external audio source.
Right click on any icon in the window and tick show disconnected devices.
If the cable is not plugged in it will be greyed out untill you plug the source cable in to line in port.

Creative used to have a feature of play what you hear with there sound cards, but it did not work right on windows 7
some sort of bug.
Score
December 13, 2010 11:48:18 AM

Soy Latte said:
Hi, I have a sound blaster audigy 4 card. Mic input and headphones work. I want to connect my electric guitar to input line (blue) using an apater to convert 1/4" to 1/8". I don't hear sound from guitar. Please advise. Thanks

Aside from selecting the correct input port and assuring it is active (not muted) and turned up, the guitar output is unlikely to be strong enough. I would use an iPod or similar device to assure the port is live and fix that issue first if necessary. A preamp is the answer if guitar output is insufficient to drive the card.
1.Connect a preamp between your guitar and computer. This one is a likely candidate: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-GDI21-Guitar-Modeler-Re...
2.If the preamp has a switch labeled “phantom power” or “+48V,” turn it off. (It’s for condenser microphones, not guitars.) If there’s a “+20dB gain” switch, turn it on, but lower the input and output levels.
3.Use the computers mixer level indicator to set the input level. Adjust the preamp output so you’re seeing a strong signal in your software’s input indicator but don't overdrive the channel.
4. Rock on. . . .
-a

Score
December 13, 2010 11:55:59 AM

Sorry forgot to say right click on line in, go to properties then to the listen tab and tick to listen to this device.
Score
December 13, 2010 12:04:25 PM

BTW, if you have a mini guitar amp with a headphone output jack you could connect the output of it to your computer input.

For those who care about the technical details. . . the issue is most likely an impedance mismatch vs a dBv/dBu output level insufficiency but the effect and solutions are the same. . . .
Score
!