Buying this config this weekend, need any final thoughts... look good?

Case : Antec Three Hundred AB

Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU : HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850

Processor : Intel Core i5-760

Ram : G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

PSU : Scythe 650W (KMRK4-650A) highly recommended japanese brand (I live in Japan)

HDD : Western Digital WD5001AALS

Keyboard : Microsoft Sidewinder x4

Mouse : Logitech mx518

Total : 950 Dollars

I live in Japan so unfortunately I can't get any of the neat newegg rebates >.<

What do you guys think? Is it solid? My primary focus is gaming, mostly FFXIV.
10 answers Last reply
More about buying config weekend final thoughts good
  1. Looks pretty nice. But...

The board only supports crossfire in x16/x4 PCIe mode, this is a decent bottleneck for even small crossfire setups like 2 HD 5770s. So if you are looking to get a second HD 5850 then I would encourage a different board.

If you don't need SATA/USB 3 then the ASUS P7P55D PRO is a good board but if you need it then the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro is $40 more.

*EDIT delete*

Theres some stuff to think about :).
  2. Hi Punkinator,

Thanks for your advice. I thought hard about crossfire but I don't think I would ever do it honesty. I can't go with a full tower right now due to my budget / living situation so I couldn't do crossfire with the 5850 anyway (because of how huge it is) I checked out the board you recommended but it's 300 dollars where I live. Way out of my budget >.<

This is the only computer i'll have for now but i'm primarily building it / designing it to play final fantasy XIV at the moment and that'll be the most graphic intensive game on it for a long time. With this current setup, I can own it nicely.

Out of curiosity though, do you know if a board in the 150 range that can do crossfire with the 5850? When time comes for a upgrade again, i'll probably just upgrade to a better primary graphics card, but I was just wondering if I had an option I wasn't catching.
  3. Hey glad I could help.

I'm pretty sure 5850 crossfire should fit in most cases...

I only picked that board because it was cheap on newegg, :(. The board you were looking at was $120 and mine was $140. Here is a nice list of boards which sport the x8/x8 PCIe:
    http://www.hardware-revolution.com/p55-motherboards-crossfire-sli-performance-problem/
    Note its not the first list thats ones to avoid!

Check some of the boards on here for prices as I cannot predict your prices considering they were so different then neweggs.
  4. actually if he was going to add a second gpu in the future it would make more sense to go for 2 gtx 460s, as 2 gtx 460s in SLI perform on par or even better than 2 5850s in crossfire
  5. Wolygon said:
    Looks pretty nice. But...

The board only supports crossfire in x16/x4 PCIe mode, this is a decent bottleneck for even small crossfire setups like 2 HD 5770s. So if you are looking to get a second HD 5850 then I would encourage a different board.

If you don't need SATA/USB 3 then the ASUS P7P55D PRO is a good board but if you need it then the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro is $40 more.

Also do you know that Intel and AMD are releasing new processors soon. This makes now a bad time to buy, but obviously if it is needed then it is needed. So if you have a fully functioning PC at the moment then I suggest waiting for the new processors and maybe buy the HD 5850 now and chuck it is your old PC to tie you over for a few months.

Another technique if you don't have a PC to use till then is to buy an AMD system with a weak processor (like the Athlon II X2). Then when the new processors come you can just smack in a new processor and off you go.

Theres some stuff to think about :).

socket am3 does not support the upcoming amd cpus, only socket am3+ will but socket am3+ will be backwards compatible and support the athlonII and phenomII processors
  6. how much does the p55a ud4p motherboard cost in your country? in my country it actually works out quite a bit cheaper than the asus board mentioned earlier i dont know why though, and if you go for a gtx 460 go for this 1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518&Tpk=gtx%20460%20hawk according to somebody 007, Linus OCd it past 5870 levels and was comparing it to a gtx 480, also money saved on going for the gtx 460 can be spent on getting an SLI capable motherboard
  7. Ah, I did some research.

It seems like all the boards than can do 8 x 8 are out of my price range here but i'll do some more research tonight.
  8. gordon_81 said:
    socket am3 does not support the upcoming amd cpus, only socket am3+ will but socket am3+ will be backwards compatible and support the athlonII and phenomII processors

Thanks for pointing this out, guess I haven't kept up with the news.
  9. Yea, I did some research and if I did choose to go with SLI, it would put me seriously over budget. I think i`ll be fine with the single card though, and if I do need more power down the road, i`ll just upgrade the primary card.

I researched the parts alot and for the purpose i`ll be using it for, a single 5850 should be more than suffecient for my uses (Final Fantasy XIV, Stalker, Steam games) and I plan on overclocking it also to about the 5870 speeds so that will help me too. I just wanted to be able to play FFXIV on high-ish settings.

I know the processor is a powerhouse and very very overclockable as well. Up until now I survived on my gaming laptop that I bougth 3 years ago and it`s been a trooper up until now being able to run everything that has come out so far at at least medium until Final Fantasy XIV.
  10. I think you've got it figured. It does not sound like you will require a board and it would thus be a waste of money.

Also be aware that you CAN run Crossfire with x16/x4 and still see a large increase in performance. I'd say with a 5850 you might waste 50% of the performance of one card.

Yes that CPU will last you a lot of graphics card updates without becoming a bottleneck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel Systems Product