Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need to play starcraft 2 , will this help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2010 2:03:07 PM

My current gpu is garbage, so i need a new, cheap one.

I was looking into this one http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

can anyone comment on it (e.g. will this be a good choice for my system?)

Setup:
my motherboard only supports AGP graphics
3gb ddr pc 3200 ram
win 7 32 bit
3.0 GHZ pentium 4 w/ hyperthreading
widescreen monitor

More about : play starcraft

August 6, 2010 2:51:58 PM

Starcraft 2 isn't very demanding as a game ive heard.. maybe a 5770 would do the trick?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 2:57:44 PM

a1an said:
Starcraft 2 isn't very demanding as a game ive heard.. maybe a 5770 would do the trick?

For an AGP motherboard? That would be a neat trick! :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 3:14:07 PM

Well you defiantly wont max it out.... I think Medium Low would be what that card could run. StarCraft 2 in pretty CPU reliant
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:18:14 PM

plznote said:
Well you defiantly wont max it out.... I think Medium Low would be what that card could run. StarCraft 2 in pretty CPU reliant

but do you think i would be getting a solid/consistent fps rate?

since, as you say startcraft 2 is more cpu reliant then getting this card http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... wouldnt make much of a difference then right?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 3:28:49 PM

To max the graphics out in SC2 you still need a fairly good GPU, so the 4670 would definitely show some benefits. Probably can play on medium, with some things like maybe effects or textures on high.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 4:33:19 PM

Your main concern is actually the CPU rather than the graphics card. Granted, upgrading your graphics card will still boost your FPS by a good amount, but spending your money on something like the 4670 might not be worth it because the P4 will more than likely bottleneck its performance. I would recommend getting a cheaper video card, much like the first HD4650 you were looking at, than to go all out and buy the best AGP card available today. There will be no performance difference between an HD4670 and HD4650 when coupled with your CPU. If I was in your situation, I would actually buy an even cheaper card (sub-$50) and save up to upgrade the entire system.
August 6, 2010 4:37:58 PM

Best answer selected by xco.
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:47:26 PM

Thanks, thats the next step for me. But b4 i build a new desktop im going to get a laptop, so i want this comp to last me for the next little bit. Thanks for the help, much appreciated! :bounce: 
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 4:54:31 PM

I somewhat disagree. SC2 in particular has great multi threading, so I can't see a 3ghz P4 with hyperthreading causing much bottleneck here. In other games that have crappy multithreading (like STALKER), then you would see far more CPU bottleneck.

Still, I suppose a 4650 to a 4670 isn't a huge difference, and a 4650 will certainly get you by.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 5:33:02 PM

Yea, I'd be the last person advocating the negative effects of a CPU bottleneck, but it does seem that SC2 run particularly better when utilizing more cores over utilizing fewer with HT, even if it seems to only be optimized with two cores.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/starcraft_...

Also,

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performan...

I think it's safe to say that if a q6600@3.0GHz is getting wrecked (but playable) when paired with a GTX480, the P4 fairs considerably worse.
m
l
August 7, 2010 2:41:56 PM

Mousemonkey said:
For an AGP motherboard? That would be a neat trick! :lol: 

Sorry i didn't really read it correctly and i don't know what AGP motherboards are.. ;/ can you give a brief description? So im a bit more wiser for next time i try to help someone?
m
l
August 7, 2010 4:09:48 PM

AGP is an older slot that was used in place of a PCI slot for graphics cards. It's a shorter brown-ish slot on some boards, usually closest to the CPU.
m
l
August 7, 2010 6:39:29 PM

ah thanks . i think i kinda remember now reading up on stuff and then they came up with pci express which had bigger bandwidth
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 11:55:18 PM

a1an said:
Sorry i didn't really read it correctly and i don't know what AGP motherboards are.. ;/ can you give a brief description? So im a bit more wiser for next time i try to help someone?

:o  Either you are very, very young or I'm very very old, either way I'm a tad depressed now. Like Trueno07 said, it was an interface that was for graphics only and was preceded by PCI (which we still have) and ISA which thankfully we don't have anymore. And they are not always brown, I have a board here with an almost fluorescent green AGP slot.
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:12:03 AM

Mousemonkey said:
:o  Either you are very, very young or I'm very very old, either way I'm a tad depressed now. Like Trueno07 said, it was an interface that was for graphics only and was preceded by PCI (which we still have) and ISA which thankfully we don't have anymore. And they are not always brown, I have a board here with an almost fluorescent green AGP slot.

I am 16... and only from last year i got into pc gaming but even a year ago i didn't know much.. Btw could i ask you a little question..would a PCI 1.0 slot bottleneck a gtx480 by much?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 12:20:31 AM

a1an said:
I am 16... and only from last year i got into pc gaming but even a year ago i didn't know much.. Btw could i ask you a little question..would a PCI 1.0 slot bottleneck a gtx480 by much?

:(  I was 16 once, seems like such a long time ago now :cry:  , PCIe 1.0 x16 could be an performance limiter but it seems to depend on the game being tested as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696.html
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 12:32:15 AM

a1an said:
That only shows 2.0 with the difference of lanes.. here is the motherboard i have http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/deta... . May i ask what age you are :p .

When you look at those charts you need to bear in mind that PCIe 2.0 is twice the bandwidth of PCIe 1.0/1, so the PCIe 2.0 x8 numbers should be about the equivalent to what a PCIe x16 1.0/1 would get. And I'm 42 by the way.
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:36:41 AM

aww cool.. and yeah i'd buy a new motherboard but there is no point to it as my cpu is on a dead socket and theres no point spending money on a dead socket motherboard where i'll be wanting a new cpu and motherboard next year.. Thanks for telling me that also i didn't know PCIe 2.0 was twice the bandwidth. sorry back to topic..sorry for driving it away... just noticed :p 
m
l
!