Buy or wait? Discussion on timing. Black Friday,Christmas,and beyond.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
You may or may not have seen me on here, I'm one of the annoying new people posting a bunch of obvious questions and such as I try to perfect my first build. Well, give me a break. I make you feel smart.

Lol, anyway - I'll leave build specifics and such aside for this one and try and cover a different angle. Is it ever worthwhile to wait for lower prices/better deals etc. when shopping for hardware? I was discussing this with a friend recently. We kind of concluded that since the next hot new product is always just around the corner, what's the point in waiting? You could wait forever. You'll never see the last graphics card ever made, unless the bombs/zombies/aliens or whatever finally hits.

The way I see it I wanna go for current high performance, not top of the line. Because cutting edge always includes a premium. I want the tier underneath that... where the prices have gone down a little.

I guess it would be smart to wait for a big sale day like Black Friday or something, but I'm ready to order my PC in a week or two. Patience is an issue.

Anyway, I figure a lot of people on here have been following hardware pricing far longer than I. Curious to hear some thoughts on the matter.

My experience is that Black friday is a great time to snag deals on peripheral things like Monitors, Printers, maybe an SSD, a Case, etc. Then the week after you can fill in with the core stuff you didnt find on sale and get building before your RMA period expires.

prolific

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I'm in an identical situation as you it seems, muckle.

I have my build pretty much near 100%, but in the back of my mind, it's hard to pull the trigger with a lot of the new releases coming out around Q1 of 2011 (supposedly).

But I think you hit the nail right on the head when you said..

Definitely helps reassure me, heh. I'd say just find the best combo deals and rebates you can right now, and purchase when you're ready. Waiting around for a deal that may or may not come, or not be as good as you had envisioned doesn't sound very worth it to me.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Indeed, prolific. I say pull that trigger, and aim for the head!

But like dnd was saying, a big sale day would be good to try and snag an optional peripheral. I'll prob try and get a new monitor. Mouse. Etc.