Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung 840 or Mushkin Chronos Deluxe?

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2012 9:12:51 PM

I'm in the market for a 480Gb to 512Gb SSD. I'm trying to keep it on a budget staying under $400. I want to get both speed and reliability if possible with this budget.

I have narrowed it down to two choices but I need some advice and if there are any better alternative I would be happy to hear about it.

The two I am considering

Samsung 840 500Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 480Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The drives I am considering will be my primary and only disc with the exception of a backup velociraptor I might use. This will be for my gaming system.

What I know so far is the Samsung 840 is very fast read speed wise which is my primary concern. It does have slower write speeds though. The Samsung uses TLC NAND which has a lower life expectancy than MLC.

The Mushkin Chronos is not the fastest device on the planet but its price is nice. It uses Synchronous MLC NAND so it does not suffer from the slow downs of un-compressible data like the OCZ agility drives did. It also has a longer life expectancy than the Samsung.

Thanks

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
December 26, 2012 8:59:27 AM

Samsung provides 3 years warranty, and the 840 delivers good performance for a really good price, also write performance is ok, not the best but sufficient.
I would go with the Samsung.
December 26, 2012 11:03:44 PM

check the 830 ... better than 840...not 840 pro
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2012 2:21:43 AM

mad-max79 said:
Samsung provides 3 years warranty, and the 840 delivers good performance for a really good price, also write performance is ok, not the best but sufficient.
I would go with the Samsung.

The 512Gb Samsung 830 excedes my budget. Mushkin also provides a 3 year warranty.

jay337 said:
check the 830 ... better than 840...not 840 pro

Also above the set budget.

Any other suggestions or which of the two drives is better?
m
l
January 1, 2013 11:12:08 PM

Best answer selected by SrsBsns.
m
l
!