New graphics Card

Hello everyone,
I currently have a:

BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024OCE GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

and a :

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

My question is with the chip set on my mobo should/do I have to stick with nvidia or can I go with ATI? The reason I ask is that I am having problems with the 280 and have been since I got it when they were new. Either it's a overheating issue or a hardware issue. I sent it into get repaired/re-placed already and it came back and some of the problems were gone and some new ones appeared. I was looking at the fermi 460/470 cards but all the reviews I read say things about overheating. I know ATI runs cooler but again...mobo and chip set. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about graphics card
  1. yes, you can go ati but you won't be able to crossfire
  2. Your motherboard can definitely use an ATI card but only 1 of them as it is SLI instead of crossfire.
    The current generation of ATI cards do indeed use much less power/give off much less heat than the comparable Fermi cards. That said you shouldn't lump the GTX 460 in with the GTX 470 in that regard. The GTX 470/480 are GF100 based cards while the GTX 460 is based on the new GF104 chip which has a much nicer power/heat profile and doesn't have the same issues. The GTX 460 would be a slight upgrade at stock over your current card but it can also OC a much larger amount(30-35%) and when you do that it really pulls away. For a more substantial upgrade go for an HD5850 which can also OC a very large amount, especially if you get one that allows for voltage control of the core.
  3. If you want a new card then GTX 460 is good, also you can add another later since your board is SLI capable...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics