I7 950 Multiplier fluctuates in CPU-Z

xxloganxx

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Guys,

New to the forum here and I've been googling the hell out of my question to see if this is normal or not, but here is my dilemma. I recently built my rig and everything seems to be running fine, but I've noticed in some of the windows widgets and CPU-Z that the multiplier for my CPU is bouncing all over the place. At first I thought it was as simple as disabling the Intelligent Power Savings in the BIOS, but that didn't do it. I just simply want to know if this is normal for this CPU to hibernate like this until the power is needed?? If at idle or close to idle.. it is reading at x12 which is close to 1600MHz. When I seem to throw some multitasking at it it will jump up to x24 which is close to the 3.06Ghz. If anyone has any feedback please let me know...

Thanks,
Mike

Build:
Windows 7 64bit
i7 950
ASRock X58 EXTREME6
EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (SLI)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (6x2GB) DDR31600 (PC3 12800)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Power Supply 80Plus Gold
ABS Canyon 595

xxloganxx

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Thanks guys. After reading into the Intel Speedstep, I guess the answer to my question has been answered.. that it's normal. I'm leaning towards disabling it... any of you guys advice against that for some reason?? Any notice in difference in performance when it's enabled? Thanks for the feedback... when I get home I have to look in BIOS again to see if the Speedstep is in there.

xxloganxx

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Great guys. Thanks for all the feedback. I will leave it enabled. I was just concerned at first, but notice that CPU-Z has it running close to full speed when I throw some heavy multitasking. I've been an AMD guy since the k5... this is my first intel build. It was a toss up between this and the AMD 1090t. Glad I went with the Intel... seems to be pretty sweet. Gonna mess with overclocking once I get it underwater... but she's running at 39deg right now. Thanks again....