Your question
Closed

Just Bought New GPU NOW WORRIED

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2010 6:25:18 PM

i recently had a discussion withe the toms forums about updating my old 8500 GT from my old HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f Desktop PC now i finally came to the decision that i would upgrade my psu from 400w to 600w so i could get the GTX 460 1gb
which i really wanted now i just placed my order on newegg and call my techie friend to tell him and he started on about did i make sure it was compatible with my old motherboards pci now i of course didn't because i knew i had a pci-e x16 slot but i cant find out what version but i know the gigabyte gtx 460 is PCI-E x16 2.0

so my question is do you think i will have any compatibility issues using this card in my older mobo?

More about : bought gpu worried

Best solution

a c 124 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 6:34:53 PM

Hmm... as far as I know the only real difference between PCIe 1.0 and 2.0 is the overall bandwidth. IE: PCIe 1.0 runs at half the speed of 2.0. So in effect, your PCIe 1.0 slot (if that's what it is) will run similar to a PCIe 2.0 8x slot. You're in luck tho, because you won't see a performance difference.

So basically, I don't think there'll be any issues with getting it running.
August 6, 2010 6:41:44 PM

thats good becasuse i was only really worried about the performance diffence i was worried i just payed 230 bucks for a card that wasn't going to work at its full potential

so no worries then?
Score
Related resources
a c 269 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 6:50:40 PM

Should work fine with no loss of performance. I do not believe that a GTX460 can max out PCI-E 1.0.
The 600w PSU was overkill. Hopefully it is a good brand though. Always go quality on a power supply.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 8:49:49 PM

As of a couple months ago, no single-GPU card could fully saturate a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot - which, as mentioned, is similar to a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot. Not sure if the GTX 480 finally broke that barrier or not, but that's irrelevant for your purposes.

However, for other reasons, some people have been known to see a slight decrease in performance if you use a high-end card in a PCIe 1.0 or PCIe 2.0 x8 slot. I emphasize SLIGHT, because it's only a couple percent.

Bottom line: It should work fine, and if there's a difference, you shouldn't notice it unless you're running benchmark tests.
Score
a c 124 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 9:28:18 PM

capt_taco said:
As of a couple months ago, no single-GPU card could fully saturate a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot - which, as mentioned, is similar to a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot. Not sure if the GTX 480 finally broke that barrier or not, but that's irrelevant for your purposes.

However, for other reasons, some people have been known to see a slight decrease in performance if you use a high-end card in a PCIe 1.0 or PCIe 2.0 x8 slot. I emphasize SLIGHT, because it's only a couple percent.

Bottom line: It should work fine, and if there's a difference, you shouldn't notice it unless you're running benchmark tests.

Hmm well here at Tom's there's an article on it, and they will have a new article up shortly that is more in depth... anyway, they found there was about a 4% loss of performance on a 5870 going from a 16x PCIe 2.0 to an 8x lane. Not sure what other factors might even contribute to that other than bandwidth, but if you could prove some other reasonable suggestions I'm all ears. My point tho, is that the top end cards - 5870, GTX480, and 5970, will have a slight performance drop going down to the 8x lane (or 16x PCIe 1.0 lane). But yeah we both agree the GTX460 will be A-OK.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 3:09:12 AM

One theory I've heard that makes sense is simply that if you have a PCIe 1.0 or PCIE 2.0 x8 slot, you therefore also have an older chipset, which is actually what's causing the difference, not the slot itself.

I wouldn't expect an earth-shattering change from that -- but that's exactly the kind of small performance loss we're talking about.
Score
August 7, 2010 7:02:22 AM

Best answer selected by sirgamesalot1234.
Score
August 7, 2010 7:07:31 AM

well thx to all that posted

i feel alot better about it now i mean whats a slight almost invisible difference
when im upgrading from and ancient 8500 GT so the huge performance upgrade i dont think will be hindered in any way

thanks to everyone for helpin give me piece of mind **YOU GUYS ROCK**
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 3:10:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!