Sign in with
Your question

Computer overheating, please help!

Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2010 6:21:24 PM

Please help, I need to make a decision and I'm having trouble.

My computer has been overheating for a long time. Whenever I play a game, minutes, sometimes seconds after I start, the computer shuts down. This only started about a year ago.

I installed speed fan to verify temps and this is what I got when not running anything:

I cleaned all the fans, checked bios for fan speed configuration and everything is in order. Both the CPU and the GPU have higher than normal temperatures and want to switch one but I don't know which. I suspect it's the CPU but I don't want to spend money and then find out it's something else.

My PC is the following:

Asus M3n78 Pro
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 312
AMD Athlon X2 6000+

I'm even afraid I switch CPU and GPU and then find out it's the MB. Please advise me. Btw, I'm obviously a hw noob so don't expect much from me.

More about : computer overheating

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 à CPUs
September 14, 2010 6:34:52 PM

Download HWMonitor for a more detailed account of your rig.
September 14, 2010 6:38:34 PM

Done. Here you go.

I could also run a game in windowed mode to see how high they go when running a game if it'll help.
Related resources
September 14, 2010 6:42:46 PM

This is my temps 30 secs into a windowed game

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 6:42:56 PM

what chassis do you have, both cpu and gpu are running too hot for idle on the desktop.. my first suspect would be air flow in the case.. also are you overclocked? you may try removing the heatsink on cpu and reapplying thermal paste...
September 14, 2010 6:50:42 PM

a pretty regular one. I removed the cover of the chassis when the problems started and has been open ever since.

It's not overclocked. I noticed today the thermal paste was completely dried up, where can I get more? Do you think it'll make enough of a difference?
September 14, 2010 6:54:06 PM

First of all you must have at least one intake fan in the front and at least 2 exaust fans runing in your system and cables should be neatly ruted inside and there must be no dust inside the Pc.Thermal paste new egg or frys. Good luck
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 7:40:19 PM

agree with doom on that.. how does the inside look? and what do you have for fans?
September 14, 2010 7:45:08 PM

2 fans in the back and it's pretty tidy actually, no cables dancing around.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 7:47:20 PM

just seems like you don't have enough airflow mainly due to both your cpu AND gpu running hot
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 9:45:29 PM

My first suggestion is the thermal paste, as others have said. Make sure you read up on HOW to remove the heatsink from the CPU, how to clean off remaining old dried paste, and how to apply just the right amount of new paste. (Too much is just as bad as too little.) To do this you MAY have to unlatch the heatsink unit, twist it GENTLY to loosen it from the CPU, then lift it off for cleaning. You may also have to unlatch the CPU (AFTER you remove the heatsink) and remove it so you can clean its top, then re-install.

I'm intrigued that you say "I noticed today the thermal paste was completely dried up". How did you observe this? If you already have lifted off the heatsink so you could see dried thermal paste, that PROVES it is not working. Dried thermal paste does worse than nothing for helping cooling. If that's what you have done and seen, cleaning off and replacing the thermal paste is DEFINITELY the first step.

While you're looking around, do you have any dust filters (often sheets of plastic foam) in your case that keep dust out at the air intake points? Check for them, especially in the front maybe hidden by the front panel. If they are dirty and clogged with dust, that will REALLY reduce air flow.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 à CPUs
September 15, 2010 2:58:58 AM

Airflow is definitely an issue your HD is 45C which won't harm it but indicates an airflow problem.
Your cpu Vcore is 1.54v which is way too high imo i woud back that off.
That setting is definitely driving up temps.
September 15, 2010 8:45:11 AM

@Paperdoc Yes I had removed the heatsink earlier in order to clean the fan a bit and that's when I saw the thermal paste was completely dried up. I will have my computer supplier reapply the paste today (computer is out of warranty but he's a mate of mine).

Regarding dust filters, I'm at work now so I can't check but from what I remember, there aren't any.

@Davcon How do I change the cpu vcore? @ Bios? to what value should I set it?

Also, I'm not sure if it is supposed to, but my fans are at a constant speed (seems slow) regardless of being idle or playing a graphics-heavy game. I tried playing around with a few speed settings in the bios with no success, having set it back to default in the end. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 12:14:09 PM

that is much better than what you have.. it has great air flow. if you have more to spend, and want more room to maneuver and even better airflow, jst out the coolermaster haf 922 I noticed it is 150 aus dollars ( don't know why ) compared to the 300 which is only 68 aus dollars.
September 15, 2010 1:36:44 PM

The coolermaster seems too over the top for me visually speaking ;) , I'm probably gonna stick to the Antec, which is half the price over here.

On another note, a mate told me it could be my PSU crapping out on me. I'll have to wait until later too check how much wattage it has, but is it possible the PSU could be the issue with the overheating?
September 15, 2010 1:40:50 PM

If you not sure on how to do something go to utube. Videos there for everything.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 à CPUs
September 15, 2010 1:56:01 PM

@Davcon How do I change the cpu vcore? @ Bios? to what value should I set it?
Here's AMD's own specs for your cpu.Voltages 1.35-1.40V .Max Temps (C) 55-63
http://products.amd.com/en-ca/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...
As you can see you're way over the recommended settings this will drastically shorten the life of your cpu.
Personally i would reset/clear my CMOS so the board reverts back to factory default.
That should revert your cpu vcore back to normal.
CMOS can be reset by either a button or removing the battery for 1 minute.
Do this with the psu turned off and unplugged and depress your front case power button to discharge capacitors.
With one hand hold the psu or touch the main chassis frame before battery removal.
I would also peruse your mobo support files for possible file upgrades.
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=DVvm9CU0G1bCC4gp
The Antec 300 is a great choice mate.
September 15, 2010 4:48:50 PM

Ok so I took my pc to my supplier and we reset the CMOS and renewed the thermal paste.

This is the result:

A few values have dropped but I'm guessing it has more to do with having been turned off for a while, since the values have risen a bit since I took this SS.

I'll see how it goes during a game, but either way I'll be getting a new case and probably a new PSU, mine's 350W.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 5:04:50 PM

yeah 350 is not enough for that hardware you have. you should be running a good 500W minimum with a good brand.. however Nvidia says a good 400 watt will do. ( manufacturers tend to under calculate power req on GPUsI do recommend corsair for PSU and the antec 300 will give you good cooling i wouldn't be surprised if the PSU is part of your problem
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 à CPUs
September 16, 2010 12:31:11 AM

AndreV said:
Ok so I took my pc to my supplier and we reset the CMOS and renewed the thermal paste.

This is the result:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/andrevaz85/pctemps15-9-10.png

A few values have dropped but I'm guessing it has more to do with having been turned off for a while, since the values have risen a bit since I took this SS.

I'll see how it goes during a game, but either way I'll be getting a new case and probably a new PSU, mine's 350W.

Wow! those values are much better and some have dropped significantly.
Good stuff!
A better case like the Antec 300 and a good higher powered psu will do wonders!
Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W Power Supply-$69.00
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
SilverStone Strider 500W ST50F-ES-$65.00
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
September 16, 2010 8:08:03 AM

Well, it seems one of those procedures really worked yesterday, for the first time in almost a year I played a game for over 2 hours! (which is like, 1h55+ more than my previous record!) However, I'm still getting the case and the PSU because the temps were still a bit too high for my taste. Let's hope it's still working today^^

Thanks to everyone for your advices and patience!
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 12:29:03 PM

Glad we could could help you out!
!