Cannot read or write to HDD but is detected

Lord Tumnas

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
hey guys,

so ive just built my system today, and i have a 64GB SSD (samsung 830) in it and it is working, however when i connect my hard drive (seagate barracuda 1TB) it does not show up in the hard drives section of the control panel, however the BIOS detects the drive, and if i go into computer>properties>device manager>disk drives the drive is detected there
and yes, i have set both drives to the ANCI (or whatever its called) drive format

has anyone had the same problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thankyou and merry christmas,
Lord Tumnas

Solution
have you ran any drivers for your BIOS or controllers?
also i would try that if the bios detects it and the control panel in windows detects it then i would say either check and see if the HDD is hidden
also check in command line and see if its even attached and windows is looking at it
let me know what you find out?

brandonf12

Honorable
May 9, 2012
have you ran any drivers for your BIOS or controllers?
also i would try that if the bios detects it and the control panel in windows detects it then i would say either check and see if the HDD is hidden
also check in command line and see if its even attached and windows is looking at it
let me know what you find out?

Solution

Lord Tumnas

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

this is my first build...
how do i check if a drive is hidden?
and how do i know if it is attached to windows?

brandonf12

Honorable
May 9, 2012

in windows you should be able to access the command line
start---> Run----> CMD

in command line you will put volumes so if you have 2 drives you would put C: for your main drive which windows is on and D: is your disk drive but if you had an addtional drive attached it might be E: F: G: H: etc...
and youll know if windows sees it when you put in one of the above letters and it doesnt say the syntax of the command cannot be found and it just says
D:\
E:\
then you are in good shape

let me know what you find out