Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD

Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2010 7:59:42 PM

Hi,

I built a system a month ago and all of a sudden am getting BSOD with a message that reads PFN_LIST_CORRUPT for a second before prompting to start windows in safe mode.

It seems to work fine in safe mode but every time I go into normal mode, after a minute or two, I get the same BSOD. I only have a DVD drive, so how can I run a Memtest?

Thanks

System in question:
CASE COMPUCASE|6T10BB BK RT

MB BIOSTAR | TA880GB+ R

PSU OCZ|OCZ500MXSP 500W RT

CPU AMD|PH II X4 945 3.0G AM3 R

MEM 2Gx2|ADATA AX3U1600GB2G9-2G R

HD 500G|SEAGATE ST3500418AS %

DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 %

WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP

More about : bsod

Best solution

September 14, 2010 8:08:30 PM

To run a memtest, download memtest86+, burn it to a CD, and it should boot up and run.

However, a newly occurring BSOD might be the result of a bad driver (especially if it doesn't manifest under Safe Mode). Did you install any new/updated drivers recently? Is there a restore point you could restore to prior to that? Otherwise, you might need to back-up data and re-install windows, then careful upgrade your drivers (creating restore points) to determine which one caused the issue, then avoid it.

edit: by saying "only a DVD drive", are you saying you can not burn disks? Do you have any friends that can? Can you burn a disk at school or a library or Kinkos or something? You can probably also create a bootable USB drive with memtest on it, Google should be your friend there.
September 21, 2010 7:45:11 PM

Best answer selected by bartendalot.
!