What to do with broken HP tx1386nr laptop parts??

bored7one4

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hi all,

I have a HP tx1386nr that i got from best buy. mother board is broken due to HP over heating video chip so I am wonder what parts i can use to build maybe a desktop?? not sure if its possilbe. does anyone know if you can replace the motherboard without over heating problem?

thanks

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
The ram kit from the laptop would likely only fit on a micro-itx board, as they are so-dimms, which are 204 or 200 pin, whereas standard dimms (for a desktop) have 240 pins. Accordingly, the ram sets for desktops are larger than the ram sets for laptops, and the lappy ram cannot be used on a standard desktop motherboard. Only the micro-itx boards will accept so-dimms.

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I can't find your computer, i tried putting tx1386 in HP's search, and nothing came up, so I can't give you any specific suggestions with the parts in the computer. Do you know what model it is, like pavilion, presario, etc.?

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I'm gonna guess its the same POS HP tablet pc I have (with the same problems). The generic model is a HP Pavilion tx1000 and there were many variations of that model, mine was a tx1220us for example.

If you're willing to take it apart and fix, the problem is the heatsink is not actually in contact with the GPU with a penny sized gap between it. It's a design flaw that HP won't acknowledge and a well known problem. The GPU gets so hot that it lifts off its seat and thats why the screen goes out. A sign of it going bad is losing the wifi, this means you have 2 months before the screen goes out.

You can fix it if you get a heat gun(quick) or blow dryer(long) and heat up the GPU so you can reseat it back in place by pressing it down with a towel because it will be very hot and holding it down until it cools. Then putting thermal compound on both sides of a penny and put it on top of the GPU followed by the heatsink. You can google "tx1000 penny" for more complete instructions.

Its a temporary fix and won't guarantee the screen won't go out again but at least you know there is a fix when it does happen again. I know its annoying, I have one I barely use anymore. It sits there as my last resort computer of use and out in the open in plain view in case anyone breaks into my apartment they will be satisfied stealing that instead of my other stuff.

If you salvage parts from it, you can probably use the ram, dvd drive, wifi, and hdd in a small form factor (mini-ITX) HTPC build, maybe even the CPU may be salvageable. maybe the bluetooth too since its on its own chip, but I'm not completely sure how to connect it to something else. Aside from that, you can probably sell the battery to someone else with this POS laptop and maybe the rest of it for "parts" like the screen if they happen to break it before the screen goes out.

bored7one4

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Man, HP's site sucks for finding specs on that thing, and when I found them, they didn't give enough detail. Anyway, the MB you linked uses full-size DIMMS, not SO-DIMMS, so if the tablet uses so-dimms, that particular mo-bo is no good.

Here are all the mobo's on Newegg that pop up with a search for "itx so-dimm":

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=itx%20so-dimm&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

You will want to find out if the HP tablet uses 200 or 204 pin modules. (Not completely sure, but I think it makes a difference, and they may not be compatible, it's been a while since I messed with that sorta thing).

Looks like they are 200-pin modules.

bored7one4

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks for the info. at this point i think i will just keep the harddrive and sell everything else. I will never buy an HP again. I dont understand how HP can ignor soo many complaints about this overheating issue. Im sure like myself everyone who had a TX1000 tablet will never buy HP again.

bored7one4

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Base on the specs i think i can reuse the CPU and ram with this board right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138149&cm_re=turion_x2-_-13-138-149-_-Product

Model

Brand
BIOSTAR

Model
A690EI2

Supported CPU

CPU Socket Type
AM2

CPU Type
Athlon64/FX/X2 /Sempron / Turion 64

Chipsets

North Bridge
AMD M690E

South Bridge
AMD SB600

Memory

Number of DDR2 Slots
2 x 200Pin SO-DIMM

DDR2 Standard
DDR2 667

Maximum Memory Supported
4GB

Expansion Slots

PCI Slots

Storage Devices

PATA
1 x ATA 100 2 Dev. Max

SATA
2 x SATA 3.0Gb/s

Onboard Video

Onboard Video Chipset
ATI Radeon X1270

Onboard Audio

Audio Chipset
Realtek ALC662

Audio Channels
6 Channels

Onboard LAN

LAN Chipset
Realtek 8111C

LAN Speed
10/100/1000Mbps

Max LAN Speed
10/100/1000Mbps

Rear Panel Ports

PS/2

COM

Video Ports
D-Sub

USB 1.1/2.0
6 x USB 2.0

Audio Ports
3 Ports

Physical Spec

Form Factor
Mini ITX

Dimensions
6.69" x 6.69"

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts
3 years limited

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The Turion 64 x2 was designed for laptops and uses a completely different CPU socket from the mainstream. Specifically, this CPU needs a Socket S1 CPU socket which is fairly hard to come by if at all. The motherboard you link has an AM2 socket and will not support this CPU.

There are two motherboards that I found, the KINO-690S1 and LV-681, that have the S1 socket but really aren't worth the price. You can probably google "Socket S2 motherboard" to see if you can find some others but you'd be wasting your time.

If you want to get more life out of them, best thing to do would be a fancy paper weight or some geeky ornament for christmas.

Best of luck to you.