Sign in with
Your question

Ssembling my first computer i need help guys!!!

Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2010 8:12:42 PM

Okay so i am assembling my computer for the first time i am 14. well here are the questions i have can you please answer them? thanks

1. i haven't bought a electric static wrist band. So how and where should i assemble where i cant fry my parts...

2. Is it hard to plug in Case Led lights,USb cable,power button and Audio cable? can you link me to a guide where it explains how to do this?

3. Cable management how will i know where to put what cable (Ex Sata Cables.IDE Cables, Graphic card power ETC) where will i know where to plug those? any guide on this too?

4. If i want to put more fans then where should i put those?

5. After i am done assembling the computer do i have to mess around with the bios to install the OS?

those are my questions so far?
And anyone guide on how to build a computer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks can someone answer these
September 14, 2010 8:41:10 PM

Sounds like you have all the parts you need? There are several more guides to get you started on that. Just reply if you need help there.

Wrist straps are not really required - in the several guides I have read, none of them insist on a wrist strap. To be safe, install the power supply, plug it in with the power switch turned off. That should ground the case. Then, frequently touch the case to discharge any static electricity. Here is a picture of my buddy Giles getting intimate with a build:

Here are the links that would help to assemble and troubleshoot:

Tecmo's step by step guide to build a PC

If you do everything in the build guide the chances are small that you will need this:

shortstuff_mt's troubleshooting list

..and of course, if these references do not work, then you can always post back here.

Good luck.
m
l
September 14, 2010 8:49:29 PM

Oh, the guide might not answer the following: Case lights are a cinch to install, and I think they make a case with a window look incredible. Connect the lights to your power supply either directly if an led, or to a ballast that connects to the power supply. Cases almost always have extra mounting points for fans, usually on the front, side or top. the product description will identify how many fans can be mounted. If you don't have enough connections on your motherboard, then connect them directly to your power supply.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2010 8:57:47 PM

hmm okie thanks i have another question.

5. After i am done assembling the computer do i have to mess around with the bios to install the OS?
m
l
September 14, 2010 9:48:35 PM

Normally, until you know what you are doing, its best to accept the default BIOS options.

They are usually reasonable for the boards intended purpose.

Once you get it up and running, you can take your time and learn which settings to adjust, and which ones to leave alone.
m
l
September 14, 2010 10:09:30 PM

i heard i have to set the memory timings do i have to do that?
m
l
September 15, 2010 2:07:14 AM

Twoboxer is correct. There may or may not be sensors that pick up the correct timings, so you should check and adjust if necessary. That does not have to happen immediately, or ever for that matter.

After you get the OS installed, look at some utilities like CPUID, Realtemp, etc. It is hard to advise, because you have never shared your configuration. These utilities will tell you about your system, and ensure everything is operating smoothly. Your motherboard manufacturer will also probably have tuning utilities - go there when you get on the web to register your mobo. Register whatever else you can on-line - it will make troubleshooting easierif there is a problem, or heaven forbid, an RMA, and almost everyone has a forum, updates and tools for free.

Where are you in the process? Do you have the componenets in hand and are you assembling now?
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:00:09 AM

Best advice is to go slow, do not try to do two things at once, and enjoy the build process.

Immediately after getting into Windows, load the mobo drivers (including NIC driver) from the CD with your mobo. After that, go check the mfg web site for updated versions of the drivers.

Do NOT update BIOS, even if there is a new version.

Then continue setting up Windows, including the driver for your vid card, which you can now get from the mfg web site.

Good luck!
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:00:05 PM

Looks like a great starter machine. Twoboxer offers good advice: take your time, and enjoy. There will be plenty of time to use your computer later - you only get to build it from scratch once.

Before you start, read through the comments on Newegg - often they can provide insight as to where your build might have a problem or you could do things better. Here is an example regarding your case "...the cables can easily be hidden behind the HDD cage and tied together with the ties that Rosewill have provided, plus they're black, you can't even see them in there." There are several others that I noticed on the case alone.
m
l
September 15, 2010 7:25:57 PM

hmm thanks i got my parts today i will tell u if everything works
m
l
September 15, 2010 7:38:33 PM

Be POSITIVE lol . . . tell us WHEN everything works :) 
m
l
September 16, 2010 12:31:38 AM

wOOT EVERYTHING worked i love this qad core woot. OMG lol i love i just need to test out the GPu wheich seems good already and ia m good
m
l
September 16, 2010 12:52:09 AM

congrats!
m
l
September 16, 2010 1:08:36 AM

thanks man if it wasnt for this site i woudnt have ever made one
m
l
September 16, 2010 3:35:40 AM

^ Makes our day! Grats!