Whats the best mb/32bitCPU combo Win server 2003

Logan801

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Hellow, i need help building a new server that has to have a 32bit Cpu for running a app. I called the manufacture of the software and they said it just wont work on a 64bit cpu. can anyone suggest a nice MB/CPU combo to run Win server 2003? Or can i run 32bit SQL on a 64bit version of 2003 server

thanks in advance

Solution
A 64 bit CPU should not be an issue, they can run 32 bit apps all day long. The issue is that you may not be able to run 32 bit apps under a 64 bit operating system. THAT definitely may be a problem.
BTW, the CPU you mentioned is a 64 bit capable CPU.

The CPU and mobo you mentioned will be just fine, but folks generally don't need that much horsepower for a server. I suppose it would depend on your usage, which you didn't mention other than SQL.
I don't use SQL, but I'm fairly certain it is not a CPU intensive program.

For my home server, using WHS I use the following components.
AMD Sempron single core 2.1 Ghz
2 gigs ram
Geforce 6150 SE mobo

It is slower than my laptop. The thing I need the most is a fast connection (1 Gbps) and...
A 64 bit CPU should not be an issue, they can run 32 bit apps all day long. The issue is that you may not be able to run 32 bit apps under a 64 bit operating system. THAT definitely may be a problem.
BTW, the CPU you mentioned is a 64 bit capable CPU.

The CPU and mobo you mentioned will be just fine, but folks generally don't need that much horsepower for a server. I suppose it would depend on your usage, which you didn't mention other than SQL.
I don't use SQL, but I'm fairly certain it is not a CPU intensive program.

For my home server, using WHS I use the following components.
AMD Sempron single core 2.1 Ghz
2 gigs ram
Geforce 6150 SE mobo

It is slower than my laptop. The thing I need the most is a fast connection (1 Gbps) and a nice hard drive. (Samsung F3 500GB, WD 500GB external backup.) It handles what I need it to do quietly and efficiently.

Solution

Logan801

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Thank you ferry much for your input buzznut. These are the wares that" have" to be on the system: server 2003 standard ( which means 32 bit) sql 32bit and the app that's going to be using them is a security app ie card access video recorder/server and there probably wouldn't be more than ten clients on it at once. Its the app that's ruining my plans for it to be a 64bit machiene. They always complain about how slow the server is that's why i was trying to go the 64 bit route. Will that combo above work for what i have described above?

Sorry about the slow response, I didn't get it til now. I think if you hit "Reply to buzznut" rather than quick reply, I'll get an email notification.

The combo you suggested will be quite a zippy machine. As I mentioned though, network throughput is going to be the main source of lag for your clients. Probably hard drive access would be next, which is why servers sometimes have raid drives to allow for speedy access (and redundancy of course, or I suppose that IS the primary reason for raid). In your case I wouldn't worry about that too much.

The main reason to go with a 64 bit machine is for the purpose of using more than 3 Gigabytes of memory (ram). It's not that 64 bit programs are damn fast, because they really aren't noticeably faster than 32 bit. But the 64 bit operating system is necessary for accessing more than 3 GB ram. This is useful in machines that carry out a lot of operations and for multitasking. Also good for folks who have SSD's, because instead of running a system cache on their hard drive and taking up precious real estate, they run without a cache and add more ram to ensure they never run out. Like about 8 GB usually.

I usually see lots of ram in webservers and other applications, but for your purposes 3 GB should be more than sufficient.
buzznut

TRENDING THREADS