New SSD Installation with Old HDD

nawit

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hey guys I posted this in another thread but I feel like this belongs here so ill ask on this forum:

I recently purchased a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. I am currently using an older HDD with all my files on it. I'd like to install Windows 7 on the SSD but keep some files on my HDD. I have read here and there that it is possible to just unplug the HDD, install Win7 on the SSD and then it will be fine. Other sources say you may have few errors by doing that. Some say that you should reformat the HDD, then install Win7 onto the SSD.

Basically, I am wondering what the best path is to installing this SSD. I'd like to save my files but if reformatting my drive will make my computer run smoother and with less problems I'm okay with that too.

Thanks!

Solution
It is always a better option to clean your previous windows installation before a new one.

Install the windows in your ssd (keeping the hdd detached during the installation) and when installation is done, boot into the windows 7 installed in your ssd and format the partition with windows on your hdd. Just remember to copy every useful file (like files in downloads and documents) from the hdd.

You cannot format your windows installation drive while using the OS. (it means if you are using the windows on your hdd and want to format the C drive it is not possible using windows tools. Although you can do that using command prompt and several other software can do that too but it is not advice able..

You can use right click format option...

Xttony

Distinguished
You can just install the windows 7 on the ssd and you'll be fine(just remember to unplug the hdd while installing window 7 on the ssd).

It is better that you format the partition on your hdd where windows is installed. Why do you wanna have a large chunk of data eaten up by the windows installation?

nawit

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have read places that it is better to just clean format your HDD before installing windows on your SSD. Is that true?

Edit: Question: Formatting my hard drive by right clicking on the drive in my computer deletes everything on it right?

Xttony

Distinguished
It is always a better option to clean your previous windows installation before a new one.

Install the windows in your ssd (keeping the hdd detached during the installation) and when installation is done, boot into the windows 7 installed in your ssd and format the partition with windows on your hdd. Just remember to copy every useful file (like files in downloads and documents) from the hdd.

You cannot format your windows installation drive while using the OS. (it means if you are using the windows on your hdd and want to format the C drive it is not possible using windows tools. Although you can do that using command prompt and several other software can do that too but it is not advice able..

You can use right click format option but it is recommended that you use disk management. Right click my computer > manage > disk management and format the partition from there.

Solution

cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I'm trying to do the exact same thing. Just got a new ssd, trying to make it my primary boot drive and throw my most played games on it while still keeping all my games and files on the HDD... if i boot off the ssd with a fresh windows install and format my old hdd is it gonna erase all of my games and files?

Xttony

Distinguished

As you are already getting an ssd it is better you install the games in your ssd itself. Just backup your saved game files.