backup ideas for laptop data

I have several laptops in the house,
ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
along with the potential disk failure....
They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
suggestions for backup ???
9 answers Last reply
More about backup ideas laptop data

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> writes:
    > I have several laptops in the house,
    > ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    > I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    > along with the potential disk failure....
    > They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    > suggestions for backup ???

    If they have Cardbus, the dirt simplest approach is get a USB 2.0
    Cardbus card and a USB 2.0 external disk drive, then go around backing
    up files to the external disk. Alternatively you could use ethernet
    to back up files from one machine to another.

    "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> writes:
    > > I have several laptops in the house,
    > > ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    > > I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    > > along with the potential disk failure....
    > > They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    > > suggestions for backup ???
    >
    > If they have Cardbus, the dirt simplest approach is get a USB 2.0
    > Cardbus card and a USB 2.0 external disk drive, then go around backing
    > up files to the external disk. Alternatively you could use ethernet
    > to back up files from one machine to another.

    Good idea on using a card to get USB 2.0.
    I'd like to get a complete disk system backup
    that could be used to restore an entire failed disk, (or even stolen),
    or those single files when we need to grab an old copy.

    Software also becomes part of the solution - what to use ?

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> writes:
    > Software also becomes part of the solution - what to use ?

    If it were me I'd probably just use rsync. Maybe there's a Windows
    or Cygwin port of that. Or you could switch to GNU/Linux.

    Retrospect, see www.dantz.com.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    > > "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> writes:
    > > > I have several laptops in the house,
    > > > ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    > > > I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    > > > along with the potential disk failure....
    > > > They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    > > > suggestions for backup ???
    > >
    > > If they have Cardbus, the dirt simplest approach is get a USB 2.0
    > > Cardbus card and a USB 2.0 external disk drive, then go around backing
    > > up files to the external disk. Alternatively you could use ethernet
    > > to back up files from one machine to another.
    >
    > Good idea on using a card to get USB 2.0.
    > I'd like to get a complete disk system backup
    > that could be used to restore an entire failed disk, (or even stolen),
    > or those single files when we need to grab an old copy.
    >
    > Software also becomes part of the solution - what to use ?

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> writes:
    >> > I have several laptops in the house,
    >> > ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    >> > I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    >> > along with the potential disk failure....
    >> > They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    >> > suggestions for backup ???
    >>
    >> If they have Cardbus, the dirt simplest approach is get a USB 2.0
    >> Cardbus card and a USB 2.0 external disk drive, then go around backing
    >> up files to the external disk. Alternatively you could use ethernet
    >> to back up files from one machine to another.
    >
    > Good idea on using a card to get USB 2.0.
    > I'd like to get a complete disk system backup
    > that could be used to restore an entire failed disk, (or even stolen),
    > or those single files when we need to grab an old copy.
    >
    > Software also becomes part of the solution - what to use ?

    If you're a Windows user and just want to buy retail software off the shelf,
    Norton Ghost is OK.

    Joe Davis wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > If you're a Windows user and just want to buy retail software off the shelf,
    > Norton Ghost is OK.

    If Symantec hasn't changed the program too much (at all?), since it
    was PowerQuest's Drive Image, I'd strongly recommendation the latest
    version of Ghost.

    Notan

    > I have several laptops in the house,
    > ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    > I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    > along with the potential disk failure....
    > They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    > suggestions for backup ???

    There are external harddisks with Ethernet connention also

    --
    Roland Mösl
    http://www.pege.org klare Ziele für eine verwirrte Zivilisation

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
    >I have several laptops in the house,
    >ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    >I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    >along with the potential disk failure....
    >They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    >suggestions for backup ???

    I'll second and third the Ghost reccomendation with external hard
    drive. If several is near 10, get the Enterprise Edition and you can
    back up over the network to a giant disk volume on a file server.
    Works fine for me!

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:27:09 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

    >I have several laptops in the house,
    >ie - like a Dell C610 with a 30GB drive & maybe 20GB used.
    >I'd like to back these up in case of accidental deleting,
    >along with the potential disk failure....
    >They have USB 1.1 (not 2.0) along with Ethernet -
    >suggestions for backup ???

    Get an old desktop with a big hard disk, then backup the laptops to it
    over the network with ghost. The problem with ghost and the cardbus
    usb2.0 will be making it all work; it may work fine, but the network
    solution is less likely to have you exchanging parts.

Laptops Internet Explorer Backup