Sign in with
Your question

Dead CPU? Updrade Toshiba Laptop CPU. Please Advise.

Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2010 4:17:22 AM

Hi, hope someone here can advise with my situation here. Thanks in advance.

This morning, I started my laptop and found that it would not boot even the bios screen. The power light came on but screen stayed blank, then as if the "idling" sound quietened, like in a coma.

The history of this 2-yr old laptop is that it had always run very hot and on high-fan speed perpetually right from new. It was my negligence not to check at the beginning.

Recently, my friend suggested that I checked the CPU temp using Core Temp and I realized it was showing above 90 deg C (194 F). He suggested applying new thermal grease and I did. Although the temperature did drop some but it might have been too late. It seemed like the "heart bypass" surgery worked but only lasted 2 months and I suspect the CPU is "burnt out" dead. My hard drive is still good because I am running it on another same laptop (I bought the same for my wife and hers is running a lot cooler than mine all along).

Ok, thanks for your patience.

My question is whether I can replace the CPU with a later model one that suits the chipset on my laptop.

Laptop model and Specs:

Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4840;
CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72;
AMD M780V chipset

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2010 10:51:59 AM

First and foremost, it's almost impossible to track down the CPU, laptop CPUs are not sold mass market, so finding it is extremely hard and expensive. Secondly you're assuming the CPU is broken there are many factors and components that could be at fault.

It makes better sense to purchase a new computer. Just transfer the data over.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2010 10:53:43 AM

Depends on the laptop. If the CPU is soldered on then NO. if it is in a socket or something like that, maybe. Although, you will have a lot of trouble finding a mobile CPU, and a newer chip can be problematic.

That is the issue with laptops, you don't really fix em just like that...

Furthermore, it could be any one of many things that might have broken the laptop, does not specifically have to be the cpu...

Sorry about the bad news...

Your probably better off buying a new laptop.....

Cheerz :sol: 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2010 11:15:18 AM

I think it's soldered on. Even if it wasn't it'd be hell to track down a replacement at a decent price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2010 1:56:28 AM

Yeah, agree with posters above, you can't do anything about that, most of laptops aren't upgradeable, sorry buddy...
m
l
December 15, 2010 3:49:53 AM

Thanks everyone who responded. I did opened up everything once just to reapply the thermal grease. I did not realize that the CPU might have been soldered on or not. It is a socket 1 mounted CPU. Is that soldered?

I have checked Ebay and there are used ones for around $50. I'm not sure if I should give it a try by any chance the CPU is not soldered since I have a 2nd laptop of the same to test things on.

What you guys think?

Cheers
m
l
!