Asus sabertooth 990fx cant get ddr 1600 to boot red ligth

calico-uk

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hello,
i cant even get my sabertooth 990fx to post with even 1600!! i just get the red led on near the ram..im using corsair vegeance 1866 and it wont even post at 1600...What the hell..i can feel a RMA comming on...anybody got any ideas plz?

calico-uk

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I even tryed Kingston hyper x 1600 and the same deal with that...its the board...no bios updates..stuck at 1333 fsb dont want to buy a BD even if they where out, i want to use my 1090t and get 1866 fsb or im sending back everything to newegg....and im taking my ball home to mom for an ice cream whilst she drys my tears..i just spent the last day messing with this BS!.

brandon02852

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

calico-uk

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
If you look in the over clocking section of the bios theres an option to auto level up on the mem, like 2nd drop down or something its called something b.s.s.d or something like that, with-out rebooting i cant rember. but set that to 1866, reduce the FSB back down to 200(as we want to use the multi first and when you use this auto level up deal, it raises the fsb to adjust the memory speed.) set your memory to 1600 and it works!!!!. Then you can adjust your multiplyer and core voltage to get a stable cpu speed, i know this is very breif in description, there are tons of voltage tweeks and adjustments in this bios, i wish i was a better OC'er...what i found was anything over 3.9 gig's with a 1090T was to Hot for everyday use and not very stable, thats with leaving the mem well alone at 1600(bare in mind im using corsair 1866 vengance here 4gigx2) so there should be plenty of room left in the memory.

Bottom line is, i am using a corsair h60 cooler, ive got the radiator out side the case with 2x120 high speed fans on it, with 3.8 as a comfortable safe everyday clock, in coretemps it reads 27-28 idle and never breaks 53-54 under full load, if you take the cpu up to the 4 gig's range, it cooks its self to like 65-67 then crash's. SO i quit with trying to get into the 4 gigs club. Same with the memory, even though it says it cando 1866, on this board with the current bios, it can not. period, ive tweaked around with the multi and fsb for days trying to ballance out a higher fsb and it fails way before even getting to 1800 fsb. I can get a boot out of it, but it wont stay up and runing for long, im sure it just depends on altering other voltages in the bios, but like i say trying to stablise the CPU at the 4 gigs range, requires at least 1.50 and im just not comfortable with the temps created from that kind of aadded voltage.

conclusion, its a "pretty" looking MB, ive just jumpd out of a crosshair III 790fx into a 990fx chipset, thinking id find the 4 gigs stable, the truth is, i had better over clocking performance out of the ROG 790fx that this, weather or not this will change with a new bios, i dont know. The PLUS to this board for anybody whom owns 5870's in CF and does not want to repurchase GPU"S this year is that- this board runs much, much better in CF? tell me im crazy, it just seems much better. SO...3.8 gigs, nice and cool, no crash's but only 1600 FSB on my 1866 MEM? looks pretty, was it worth it....Ill let you know when the Bull Dozer is realesed.